inTank Media Baskets

Two noobie questions (sorry)

EddieW

I am getting my live rock shipped to me on Friday - it will be sent on Thursday so it will have been in the box for between 12 and 24 hours once I get it. Do I need to do anything with it before placing in the tank? Does it need acclimatising in any way? Sorry if that is a stooooopid question but I want to make sure I do things right. It is a new tank with nothing in it at the moment.

Also the tank is 24"x14"x14" and has 72w of lighting. I am not planning on getting any corals, etc. for quite a while as the tank needs to cycle but I want to start doing my research now. What types should I look at under that level of lighting and which are definite no-nos? I don't want to get something that has no chance of surviving/thriving both from the financial point of view and the ethical point of view.

Many thanks for any assistance you can give me,

Eddie

Toss the rock in and get to aquascaping! I'm assuming you have some type of substrate/sand for the bottom already? The LR really doesn't need to be acclimatized. You might look it over and remove any loose garbage which isn't looking too healthy. Other than that, it wil cycle fine in the tank.

Get your salinity to 1.021 to 1.023 or so. Water temp around 78 and have at it. Depending upon the quality of LR you get the tank can cycle within a couple of weeks - or it may take 3-4 weeks. Test daily to check for ammonia spikes and watch it cycle down.

In the meantime surf through some of the members tanks here and see what you like as far as corals go. Check out the sponsors for types of corals you like, look up some of the nano-pack specials and get prepared to always want something more!

Best wishes to you Eddie!

you might want to pick off any undesirable algae and give the rock a soak in tank water (outside of the tank) to brush off detritus and dead critters.

SeaMountain, Mattie, Crakeur,

Thanks very much for the useful feedback.

The thing I love about fish keeping (and also it's downside) is that no matter what you have you always want more. :)

Cheers, Eddie

Yeah, def clean off what you dont like after a day or two. Definatley in a separate seawater bucket too. Lower light corals/.......xenia , ricordia , zoos , star polyps , blasto's , some people go w/ torchs , frogspawn , brains , and other lps warfare animals....I am a peacful type of guy though :)

Birdman - ta for the feedback. Useful info.

DrDrew - it is a Fluval Duo 600 with the original hood removed and a overtank luminaire replacement. I also ditched (some time ago) all of the filtration, etc. that came with it. It was up as a FW tank for quite a while but decided to switch to SW as a new challenge. Fortunately the tank never had any meds as it was always clear of disease as I gather any form of copper based med would have made it unusable as a SW.

Live rock arriving today woo hoo!!!

Cheers, Eddie

Archived