ReefCleaners.org

Tunze Skimmer acting weird

Ando

Alight guys I got a used Tunze9002 for my 29 gallon biocube. I had it running yesterday for about 5 hours and it produced no skimmate. I had it running all night and I woke up in the middle of the night bc the cup was full of water and making weird noise...so i shut it off. I turned it back on thiss morning and it's doing the same thing. The skimmer will over flow the skimmate cup in about min.. Whats my problem??

the water level is right. and I tryed adjusting the air vavle?

Help me out. Thanks

ok I will try that.

Also on the skimmer cup... Does it have a gasket to go around it or anything to hold it snug into place.

Mine sits in there but moves around a little bit

SpankythePyro

the cup moves, doesn't sit perfectly unless you hit the "sweet spot" this skimmer is very finickey one day i get good skimmate the next nothing... could just be all the junk is pulled out of my water column but I doubt that

No, there is no gasket, it just sits there.

ok I will try that.

Also on the skimmer cup... Does it have a gasket to go around it or anything to hold it snug into place.

Mine sits in there but moves around a little bit

... this skimmer is very finickey one day i get good skimmate the next nothing... could just be all the junk is pulled out of my water column but I doubt that

Or it could be that your waterlevel fluctuates.

SpankythePyro

no I make sure to keep it topped off and I have some tape on the outside to make sure its always at the same level I have it dialed for

I find my tunze is temperamental too - one day it produces no skimmate, the next super wet almost water, then the next super dry crud. Oh well. damn thing. My water level is constant too (osmolator, and the skimmer is in the drain section of the sump).

Ando, I had that problem too when I first started it up....nothing happened, then I woke up the next morning to see our floor flooded because of the damn thing.

I tuned it in by turning the air valve all the way down, and then successively opening it about a quarter turn everyday till it hit a sweet spot.

My tunze is pretty constant but I have a super cup on it :D

It could be more with your tank than anything. Water levels are very important, if you run filter floss as it clogs up your sump or filtration areas drop in level even though your display water level is constant from top offs.

Bioload in your tank may be higher after feeding and on non feeding/dosing days it is less.

It will still be producting the same amount of air bubbles day after day but there has to be some organic waste for them to latch on to for spill over. Even doing a water change can give you different results in collection.

Archived