Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Octopus Skimmer 110

SK8URDEAD

i just bought this skimmer and it runs SUPPER quite but i was wondering is it really good? im seeing lots and lots of macro bubbles floating around it it and its just sexy but i wanted some opinions on how good they are :).

post-41226-1236319459_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1236319607_thumb.jpg

post-41226-1236319858_thumb.jpg

+1.

yeah i have it in my sump right now and was the very first skimmer my lfs owner said would be best to get out of 20 others he had lol. he said all the other ones are good but for the goal im trying to reach this one would be one of the best.

also what is best level to have? i have mine about 10inches deep but im ajusting the valve trying to get the right flow in there there so the bubbles arnt to wet. kinda hard to get in place lol.

you will get micro bubbles when it is new, they should go away after a couple of days. Also when you make adjustments be sure to let it run for a few hours before adjusting again.

if you are thinking about getting one check and see if the bulkreefsupply.com GB is still going on. You get a discount and free shipping.

I love mine...it is on a 90 gallon total volume system and does a GREAT job....

i got mine for $139.00 at my lfs(Aquarium Designs San Antonio) its a badass skimmer. just trying to get the right ajustment and yeah i learned that if i ajust it i have to wait to reajust lol. pretty complicated figuring out the right spot since im new to skimmers but its great :)

best to set it so it doesnt overflow then just leave it for a day or two, otherwise you wind up chasing your tail, now if you enjoy tail chasing, like I sometimes do, then thats just fine too :)

best to set it so it doesnt overflow then just leave it for a day or two, otherwise you wind up chasing your tail, now if you enjoy tail chasing, like I sometimes do, then thats just fine too :)

could you explain that please? trying to figure this thing out and im about to go home right now since im at school atm.

your "final" adjustment will change as the skimmer breaks in over the next couple weeks. SO trying to get it perfect right away is basically impossible. You will continue to go up and down, so the best thing to do is set it so that it is pretty mildly producing foam and wait for a day or two, then you should see a pretty good drop in the foam height, then it will be stable go ahead and adjust it up to where you want it.

Thats the older model. Don't worry, it's still a great skimmer. There are some mods for that skimmer that can turn it into a beast if thats what you are looking for. I have one of the new ones showing up today. I'm excited :)

Tanque Verde

I've been running the 110 for about two weeks. It's only just beginning to hit the sweet spot, but already it strikes me as a very nice piece of equipment, especially for the price. You might look into the gate valve mod for dry adjustments.

upgrade to the pinwheel (the latest models have it standard now) impeller. goes from decent with the needle wheel to pretty darn good. the pump has always been the achilles (weakest point) of this skimmer but with the pinwheel the pump is up to par with the rest of the skimmer.

30gallonsetup105.jpg

Tanque Verde

nice tip. hadn't seen that.

EDIT: is it just a matter of swapping out the impellers? Or is it necessary to replace the pump and/or other parts?

Mine is an Octopus Turbine 1000.

And I just found this, though it is out of stock:

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/contro...67C09F1327.jvm1

(Incidentally, you and Stanlalee are all over the threads I'm diggin info from these days. Thanks for your time and expertise.)

just wondering whats the max water level for my skimmer? my sump has a deepness of 10" and right now i have it in there under 10". but i was wondering around what level do you think it will be more affective?

upgrade to the pinwheel (the latest models have it standard now) impeller. goes from decent with the needle wheel to pretty darn good. the pump has always been the achilles (weakest point) of this skimmer but with the pinwheel the pump is up to par with the rest of the skimmer.

30gallonsetup105.jpg

mine has the second one so is the pinwheel the white one?

mine has the second one so is the pinwheel the white one?

yes the first one is the pinwheel. its a direct placement for the OTP-1000 pump. the original octopus needle wheel pumps were rebadged ocean runners (or clones) they have LONG switched to their own octopus pumps. your skimmer is a previous generation but I doubt its old enough to have the ocean runner clone unless you store had the same skimmer in stock for 3+years you can get the pinwheels at aqua cave or premium aquatics but if your local dealer is an octopus dealer they should be able to get them.

funkyfish77

I have the newer model it pulls a cup of stuff so dark u can't see through it in a week great skimmer

just give it a couple weeks to break in and ur good to go. here is a good link

I had one too for my 30 gallon, put it inside my 10 gallon sump and it did wonders! Corals colored up and thrived when it was on. I highly recommend it!

I want to get one of those. How much was it and where did you get it?

You can pick them at fishtanksdirect.com for 140. That's what I plan to do soon.

Archived