Pod Your Reef

SCWD Squid wavemaker closed-loop

twichstile

Hey eveyone! I am trying to price out my next project- a closed loop w/ wavemaker on my 20L.

I have checked out melevsreef.com < what a resource!

I like his design, but I wonder if I can "cheap out" and use a MJ900 instead of the Mag ? The Mag 1.9 is the one i'd go for as it is ~ 200gph and is $45 !!! The MJ900, at ~230gph, is $18.99!!

These prices are from marinedepot.com

Is there a difference in quality of these? I see a lot of people use the MJs and love em. The Mag seemingly has a deserved reputation for quality/reliability and quiet. I know that cheaping out is rarely a good decision in reefing, but MJs seem to have a good reputation as well. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance, dave

the mag will produce a lot more head pressure than the mj900. you have 84" of head pressure with the mag to about 46" with mj

the mag will produce a lot more head pressure than the mj900. you have 84" of head pressure with the mag to about 46" with mj

ok, that solves my confusion, "you get what you pay for." It looks like ill be needing btw 67-100" of pressure.

Thanks for the help scotty!

It's not about "you get what you pay for". They are designed for two different applications. MJs are powerheads, used for zero head water circulation. The Mags are pressure rated lift pumps. They were never intended to do the same thing.

I run mine with a QuietOne 3000, no problems.

I have a Mag 5 and a Mag 9.5 sitting around and I would use both of them (one for the loop and one as a sump return) if they didn't eat up so much power for their rated gph.

Thanks evil, yeah I realize now that that motto doesnt fit this application. I do like the motto though :)

Archived