Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which overflow to buy?

Emilio84

I have a 24g Aquapod with the false wall and black vinyl removed ready to be drilled. I want to get a www.glass-holes.com overflow kit. My choices are the Super nano kit or the 700gph kit. The tank will be plumbed to a 10g sump and return will be via a Mag5 pump. I'd buy the Super Nano kit but the lack of teeth bothers me. The only thing keeping me from getting the 700gph kit is the fact that it uses a 1 1/2in bulkhead which seems large compared to the 1in bulkhead used for the Super Nano. Its also a bit larger at 2 x 6 x 6.25 vs the super nano at 2x 5 x 3.5.

All things considered I am pretty much ready to place my order for the 700gph kit as I'd rather have the capacity for extra flow than have too little flow.

One other thing... what size should my returns be? 1/2in or 3/4in ? Single return or dual returns (or just use a "Y" fitting and split the return)?

I have a 24g Aquapod with the false wall and black vinyl removed ready to be drilled. I want to get a www.glass-holes.com overflow kit. My choices are the Super nano kit or the 700gph kit. The tank will be plumbed to a 10g sump and return will be via a Mag5 pump. I'd buy the Super Nano kit but the lack of teeth bothers me. The only thing keeping me from getting the 700gph kit is the fact that it uses a 1 1/2in bulkhead which seems large compared to the 1in bulkhead used for the Super Nano. Its also a bit larger at 2 x 6 x 6.25 vs the super nano at 2x 5 x 3.5.

All things considered I am pretty much ready to place my order for the 700gph kit as I'd rather have the capacity for extra flow than have too little flow.

One other thing... what size should my returns be? 1/2in or 3/4in ? Single return or dual returns (or just use a "Y" fitting and split the return)?

Super Nano is PLENTY.

I have one in my 5.5 and will be installing it in my 25 soon. I asked the owner of the site (glass-holes) if the super nano would be ok, he said yes and he uses one in a 44 gallon setup. The 700 GPH kit would be hella overkill.

I had the same question when i was considering drilling my 20L acrylic ! The lack of teeth bothers me!!

The advice i was given was that the 700 kit would be overzealous("overkill" was the word choice).

Something interesting I have learned through experience with my 55 and HOB overflow is that the overflow and in-tank return water flow is completely determined by the pump you use.

For example, my 840 GPH rio 14 forces my overflow to do that much. Obviously, there is a limit to the amount of flow a 1 1/2" pipe can do.

My point is that the 700 kit looks better and may be overkill but it is only going to go as fast as the return pump's GPH. If your power is low and you are using the 700 the teeth may only be half way covered with water and you may not be able to keep your tank water depth as close to the rim as you want. On my 55 the teeth are nearly completely covered, this tells me that I am running nearly the max. volume that my overflow can handle.

You can go under but you cant go over.

Maybe buy the super nano and router some teeth in it..

Or just have some teeth sticking above the surface with the 700

BTW single return is fine, dual returns are for big tanks

Sounds good! I went with the super nano and the 1/2in return kits. Can't wait to get them and get my tank all set up.

Archived