inTank Media Baskets

Am I better off with a different setup?

dillinger

Alright, I am planning on upgrading/moving everything from my 10 gallon to a 20 long. I am going for metal halide and wanted to see what you guys thought of this setup.

Pendant x 2 @ $10 = $20 (Home Depot)

End cap x 2 @ $19 = $38 (Hello Lights)

150W 20 000K HQI XM Bulb x 2 @ $60 = $120 (Hello Lights)

Dual 150W PFO Ballast = $228 (Marine Depot)

TOTAL = $406

So, that means 300W of 20 000K halide light over a 20 long for about $406. Is there a more economical way of doing this? A pre-made retro that would be cheaper?

Should I go w/ 1 20 000K and 1 10 000K? I am mostly worried about growth. I would like to keep SPS and know they like 6500K light.

Any thoughts are more than welcomed!

Adam

MrConclusion

The XM bulbs actually burn at something more like 15,000K, so they're considerably whiter than radiums or other deep blue "20,000K" bulbs. They should be pretty good for solo lighting.

Personally, I would skip the Home Depot fixtures and go with something nicer looking, like 2 of PFO's HQI pendants, but that's going to cost more ($600 w/ bulbs.)

So, would you think I am better off w/ a Radium 20 000K bulb? Or are there better quality 14 000K bulbs?

Is it just the look of the PFO pendants? I personally think I can sacrifice $200 for the look...but if there is another reason please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Archived