Coral Vue Hydros

Reefkeeper Lite for me?

simon2629

I'm really tired of my heater overheated my nano tank, it's been 2 times and last time it killed my clam and some coral, I was stupid not using any controlling system. Now I'm going to start my new Solana, and I'm think to purchase a monitor-controlling system for it. I don't dose much, generally just for temperature, lights and PH control, how about a Reefkeeper lite? which level should I buy, and can it monitor-control PH and Temperature at same time, how many probe can I use at same time? compare Aquacontroller and Reefkeeper, which one is easier to use?

BTW, I saw online they're selling Reefkeeper2, anyone used this one before?

Thank you.

I've been looking at the Reefkeeper Lite. I've looked at all the features of both the Aquacontroller Jr. and the Reefkeeper Lite. The ReefKeeper Lite has more features than the Aquacontroller Jr. You can monitor ORP, PH, Temp on two tanks if you like and still have room to control 8 plugs. You can hook up to a total of 4 modules so there is room for expandability. The biggest selling point for me is that you will be able to trade-up to the ReefKeeper elite for $250.

For me there are two things that I'm still concerned about. First, if you go to the Digital Aquatics website and look under the forums section at the RKL forum there are a lot of posts about issues with the controller. They have posted a beta update for the controller to help with some of that but looks like there might be more problems that are yet unresolved. The two that stick out in my head are the temp guage not working and showing error, and the PH controller not working correctly to control CA reactor. I'm sure these issues will be fixed in short order as the controller has only been out a month.

My second concern on this controller is that right now there is no way to monitor it remotely. Digital Aquatics will be coming out with a update to thier MyReef software (which btw they do not charge for) that will allow for this but they don't have a release date scheduled for it at the moment.

Anyway, I'm planning on ordering it when my tax money comes in next week.

Steve

Anyway, I'm planning on ordering it when my tax money comes in next week.

Steve

Right, I heard they have bug too, that make me worried. So you mean the lite can monitor and control PH, Temperature same time? but there's only 1 SL1, right?

Do the following:

Sit down and write down all the things you plan to do with it.

Then write down all the things you don't think you will do with it.

Then write down all the things that you never thought you could do with it but would be cool.

Then decide if you like being able to program it from your computer or are ok with pushing up and down arrows only.

Then decide if you want to be able to monitor and control it remotely and write that down.

Then decide if you are more about stability and reliability or are willing to sacrifice some of the former for more flexibility and future functionality.

Then decide on how much you want to pay for it. Not "as little as possible" but really how much you want to pay and write that down.

Then figure out how much you actually could pay above and beyond how much you want to pay and write that down.

Then take figure out which of the above features/functions are "Must Have", "Like To Have", "Would Be Nice To Have", "Would Be Cool But I Really Don't Need Them" and create columns of each.

Then copy down the spec's of each unit (RK Lite, RKE, ACjr, ACIII, ACIII Pro) and match them against the previous step.

Then look at what the cost is to get some subset of Must Have, Like To Have, etc and match that against what you want to pay and what you could pay.

After you do that you have your answer.

I have used both the RKE and the ACIII/Pro. Both are very good units. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both will do everything you want and more. You will want to upgrade in the future so don't limit yourself to just what you list. Trust me.

I've had a RK2 running for the last 18 months with a temp controller and PH monitor.

For simple Nano setups I feel the RK2(updated to RKL) or the AJR is more then enough.

1/2 hour my receiving my RK2 it was programmed and fully operational on my tank.

Tanks' temperature is much more stable with the controller.

If my tank hits 80 degrees my fans automatically kick in...At 82 the lights will turn off.

I'm not in the office thinking about my tank on a warm day wondering if I'm having sushi for dinner ;-)

Hit standby..pumps are off for an adjustable 20 minutes..perfect for feedings or tank maintenance.

I can honestly say that along with the turkey baster, the controller is the best piece of equipment(piece of mind) that I've added to my tank.

Right, I heard they have bug too, that make me worried. So you mean the lite can monitor and control PH, Temperature same time? but there's only 1 SL1, right?

Yes SL1 will do Temp, PH, and Orp at the same time. All RKL packages come with only 1 - SL1 module, however, you can add a second module and monitor a second tank if you like. It's all up to how you want to configure it. Look closely at the RKL package 3 as it includes a free PH probe and additonal power module to get you to 8 controllable outlets. I would suggest not buying the RK2 as the RKL is a upgraded version with more features for about the same cost (Based on Marinedepot pricing). Also, I only brought up the bug so you know it is there, but I'm sure Digital Aquatics will get the unit working 100% within the next month or 2. Heck my XP computer still bluescreens and it's been years LOL.

Steve

I purchased the RKL1 for my soon to be setup AQ 24g. I have a Osmolator so the RKL will control my sunpod, azoo fan and possibly my heater, leaving 1-2 power spots open. I wanted a nice digital thermometer as well as a good quality timer switch for my lights. If you bought those items seperately it would costs more then the 150 i spent on the RKL1, plus with the ability to upgrade, you really cant go wrong!

im getting the RKE. should be here soon. I only plan on doing basic things with it, but like you mentioned...setting it to control based on lights and temp.

The biggest selling point for me is that you will be able to trade-up to the ReefKeeper elite for $250.

Steve

Sounds good. how does the trade-up work?

• 3 weeks later...
Digital Aquatics

Now that we're here on Nano-Reef let me add a quick note... The RKL has had an official firmware update that has resolved the bugs that have been noted here! The new firmware has been up and running for almost a month without a single report of an issue. We're very happy about this and feel the RKL is a solid option for a nano system!

If you have any questions or concerns please post in our sponsors section.

Thank you,

Scott

DA

Archived