ReefCleaners.org

Two part Solution Vs Calcium Reactors

scottyreef

So I am planning to get a 60g Starfire tank with a 30g sump or so my question is should i keep doing two part dosing for change to a calcium reactor what is the volume ideally to change for one to the other?

i think the biggest difference is if you start to use alot of the two part then the reactor is more cost effective. Which will all depend on your calcium uptake.

well to be honest i m really weary of calcium reactors they seem to be more fickle when it comes to getting the carbonic acid levels right and the amount

and more things to go wrong.. You know those "automatic" things to make life easy that somehow never quite do.

er1c_the_reefer

ca reactor cut back on a lot of maintenance for me. its not hard at all; a pH monitor is all you need, just make sure it stays within 6.5-6.7 range. it's also attached to ac jr so it shuts off if the pH in the system drops too much.

oh yea, reactors will release phosphate, which is negative, unless you use the really high quality media; may be a good idea to drip effluent into refugium or through phospate absorber.

i built one for around 50 bucks and all that was needed was the pump to run it and co2 tank and regulator.

What two part are you using? Look into Brightwells Aquatics Kalk+ all I've ever used it's cost effective and does WONDERS seen a whole bunch of growth since switching from Kent.

All I know is 4 ounces of Kalk+ goes for 8 bucks on ebay and it's Cal, Buffer, Mag and Strontium all in one easy mix.

Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime IMO.

Edit: Also, I don't know what dimensions your 60 gallon is, but would you even have room for a Ca reactor under the stand? They can take up quite a bit of room. A kalkwasser stirrer may be a better option unless your tank is chock full of SPS colonies.

• 3 weeks later...

I think i am going two part becauses its been working for me for quite a while and i dont want to mess with a good thing. but i might look into a kalk stirrer though

A good source for the two parts over here that seems to have a lot of success is using Dowflake (anhydrous Calcium Chloride) and Pool Alkalinity (Sodium Bicarbonate), both of which are available from pool stores, and can be bought in bulk lots of around 65lb. I was skeptical of it first, but there's several people who've been doing it for prolonged periods and the results are simply astounding.

Gotta love finding the same stuff cheaper 'cos it's not got the word "aquarium" in its name :D

A good source for the two parts over here that seems to have a lot of success is using Dowflake (anhydrous Calcium Chloride) and Pool Alkalinity (Sodium Bicarbonate), both of which are available from pool stores, and can be bought in bulk lots of around 65lb. I was skeptical of it first, but there's several people who've been doing it for prolonged periods and the results are simply astounding.

Gotta love finding the same stuff cheaper 'cos it's not got the word "aquarium" in its name :D

thats what the bulk reef supply is. You gotta watch the DOW flake now as it has higher lvls of boron. I use the two part from bulk reef and also add some of their kalk into my topoff container. SPS growing like a mofo. I getting ready to use glenn11978 DIY dosing system for the two part.

thats what the bulk reef supply is. You gotta watch the DOW flake now as it has higher lvls of boron. I use the two part from bulk reef and also add some of their kalk into my topoff container. SPS growing like a mofo. I getting ready to use glenn11978 DIY dosing system for the two part.

Ahhh, I guess that'd make sense. I've heard some talk of things changing minutely in terms of what else is in it, though nobody here has ever really expressed much concern. The SPS growth the stuff gives makes me wonder why people bother with anything else, really.

Archived