Pod Your Reef

Infusion pumps for dosing

Waterproof

I've been looking for a cheap way to dose my 2-part solution. I've seen a lot of infusion pumps on ebay for cheap. These should be much more accurate than a peristaltic pump or an aqua lifter. Has anyone used these? I can't seem to find any info on their achievable head. Are they typically gravity feed or can they pump a few feet vertically? I'm interested to hear your experiences. Thanks,

J.

there is no head they are gravity drip also they are a type of peristaltic pump they are quite acruate but drip line has to change quite often

well if you get a kangaroo type pump you can produce a few feet of peristaltic pump manageable head pressure. there are screw types and syringe types but they dont have a lot of volume to work with

well if you get a kangaroo type pump you can produce a few feet of peristaltic pump manageable head pressure. there are screw types and syringe types but they dont have a lot of volume to work with

scottyreef, thanks for the response. I only think I'd need to dose about 5-10ml per day of each part. I'll take a look at the kangaroo type.

Don't forget to search used medical equipment sites. IV pumps can be found cheap and extremely accurate. If you buy from a medical refurb company, they should be able to tell you at what pressure the pump will fail and alarm. Then you get an idea of the head loss. I have never seen an IV pump that would not pump the length of the line straight overhead. Meaning you could certainly put the pump under the tank and pump up. Just be aware that some pumps use proprietary cassettes that must be used with it. Other you can simply thread the tubing through it.

Also, check your local hospitals, many will have old ones in storage or lying around that they would likely give away.

Archived