SaltCritters.com

Pump for chiller that will fit in 3" wide sump

36and2

I have a Nano cube 24g and need a pump for a chiller that I bought (AquaEuroUSA Mighty Pro 1/13 HP). The sumps width is 3" and the only pumps that I can find that will fit in the space are the maxijet 1800 which has 475 g/hr flow and the mag9.5 which is like 900g/hr. The maxijet seems like it will have to little flow, I read a review that said that the maxijet will be around 250g/hr a 4 ft head lose. The mag 9 is around 700g/hr. at 4 ft. The chiller states that the flow needs to be 300-500g/hr. My plan was to take out the current maxijet1100 that is in the sump and run a stronger pump to pump the water over the back of the tank into the chiller and then back into the nozzle that directs water back into the display. The height of the wall of the tank is 16" and the height from the top of the chiller to the rim of the tank is 29". If anyone has any ideas or has done something similar I would greatly appreciate your input. :D Thank you

why not just put a ball valve inline and valve down the flow to where you need it

thats gonna be the best solution

Is there a way to know that the required g/hr are flowing through the ball valve, is it damaging to pumps to restrict flow?

only way to know for sure is to buy a meter, and no, almost everyones tank has a restricted pump running on it. Too bad you cant fit a Mag 7 then you could run wide open using less power.

I was also thinking of maybe using an external pump, like the hydro seltz L40 740g/hr but I am unsure if they are prone to leaking. The only reason I am thinking of keeping the pump in the tank is for this reason, do you have any experience with external pumps?

from the reviews on marine depot it seems that is a popular choice for chillers, I have not used them, but have ran external pumps before

You want slower flow on a chiller so that contact time is maxumized for most efficient cooling. That said I do know that different chillers have different flow requirements. JBJs like half the flow of what Current-USA ones like and so on. With my JBJ Arctic Nan chiller on my 30g tank, I run an MJ1200 with it and works out very well!! Flow is still pretty good at the outlet of the return hose from the chiller, and I'm running about 6 feet total of tubing, not much head or lift though...

Archived