Cultivated Reef

What CAN'T I grow?

Jahkaya

I just set up my 18H with the 175 MH 20k and 36w Actinic. The MH is about 4 inches off the water. Provided the Water quality and flow requirements are met, What CAN't I grow? Are there any corals or Clams that I should steer clear of? I am only concerned about the lesser Par of a 20k bulb, but otherwise the sucker puts out massive quantities of light to my inaccurate eye.

Now one side of my house glows Purple (VHO's) and the other glows Blue! Damn it's great!

I only wish I could grow that way. I am having trouble putting on quality lean muscle.

The bulb is a Radium by the way. Supposed Highest Par of the 20000k. Ballast is Coralife.

you said you got a 18H, I believe that's a 15H instead, coz I got the same tank, when I bought it, it said 18H on the sticker, but when I do some measurement, it turns out to be 15 instead, btw I have 250W 14k on my 15H and I am trying to grow everything...

Dark Devil:

That may Be. It has the Foot print of a 10 gallon but is 20" tall. Do you have any heat issues? Is your 250 DE or mogul? I wonder if I have enough light for Croceas on the Sandbed and table acros on the top.

I wish I had a Par Meter. a 175 will put out only so much par and as I understand it regardless of how small the tank is one still needs a certain par to meet the needs of the coral.

for heat issue, I kind of take care of it by using 2 117cfm fans, they are kind of loud, but do the job right, my 250 is SE, want to get DE, but will cost more, I have crocea on sandbed, 2 tables, and couple acros, I can't tell you if I have enough PAR, but if you really concern about it, get a 6500k bulb, that way it will take care of the par issues

no heat here either, even though the MH is only 4 inches off the water. I have a 9 inch canopy with two three inch fans. Evaporation is killing me though.

Archived