Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help choosing lighting

jasontatro

Hey all. The title says it all.

I have an established tank but I am really not all that happy with the lighting scheme. I want to upgrade and would like to get some input. From everything I have read here, it seems MH is the way to go that will give me the most options for future inhabitants. I had been considering going with the PC "power quad" that everyone is always praising, but in looking at the retrofit kits that are available at Hellolights, it seems like I could go 175w MH retro for just a little more money. What are the benefits/drawbacks to each?

http://www.hellolights.com/185cfquadret.html

http://www.hellolights.com/17methalretk.html

I welcome all comments and critiques on these choices. Just someone please help me make up my mind. I would like to stay under 2 bills.

Much thanks.

i run 2 36w PC and put what ever i want under it. i love the PC lighting i would go with 96w and with the extra money an led moonlight.

also with the MH your going to need a athinic too.

Kingpin, I have two reefs, and can show various pics of people running theirs on nothing but halide lighting...no actinic suppliment. On my 60cube it seemed a little rediculous to have 65 or so watts of actinic that would only really benefit the top 12" of the tank really well (halide carries it's intensity deeper than any flour bulb...even compact). I just use 12, 13, 14, 20,000 K bulbs.

On the other hand. I love halide, but on a 10gallon...I just couldnt imagine it. Maybe a little 70watt DIY like they were talkin about in the DIY section. But even just a 150DE seems a little overkill. Oh, wait, I remember a certain minibow with a 150watter over it. But then you will need a chiller, sump, etc. like he had. My first nano was a 10gallon with 2x36watt PC over it. Grew everything except acro and clams very well. My cousin runs the 96watt quad over his 10gallon. He likes it alot...and has saved some would-be-dead-otherwise corals from the LFSs that dont know what they are doin with acro and xenia. If I were to do a 10 again (and am considering one for the desktop), I would use 3x36wattPC. That's more wattege than the 96, but more control due to 3 seperate bulbs. I might consider a halide on a 10 if it was that 70watter or something small, but I think anything more is just waaaay to much heat IMO.

Archived