Pod Your Reef

Is this person nuts?

Chromis

In the chat room here asking different people for advise on what I can and can't keep in a 15g tank w/ 3g refugium.  Everyone seems to have totally different things they hate and totally different numbers.  Anyways here is what one person's (to remain un-named) stocking recommendations:

30 lbs Live Rock

15 assorted snails

15 blue-leg hermits

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Sally Light-foot Crab

1 Emerald Crab

Not to mention corals and 2 small fish (False Perc & Six-Line Wrasse)

Just thougt I'd share.

Thoughts.... :)

Nishant3789

tahts not too bad, u relaly doint need ALL that live rock in my opinion but it wont hurt and itll make ure tank look nicer, as for the inhabiants all looks good cept fo the shrimps and emerald crabs, im not sure if they will get along someone more knowldgable will be able to help u there hopefully, but 2 fish is definetly feasable in a 15 gallon with a 3 gallon refugium hth

nishant

Aren't the number of snails/hermits high?

Also 3 shrimp and 2 crabs?

These with coral and fish seems I'd run out of room on the rocks for all this stuff.

i personally agree with the amount of rock. i like lots. he crabs and stuff....i wouldnt put an emerald crab or sallylite foot crabs in my tank anyway due to agressive nature. other than that everything else sounds fine.

- 2 small fish are acceptable, the false clown is good the sixline is not (in general)

- 1 smail/gallon, 1 hermit/ 2 gallons is a good rule of thumb. more hermits can be done but if underfed will consume each other & snails.

- Beware of the emerald (some are good some aren't) and you should skip the sally altogether.

- 2 pounds per gallon is perfectly acceptable. the suggestion is 1-2 pounds/gallon. I favor 1.5 - 2 pounds myself.

as long as everything is happy and there is ample room and your tank parameters stay within the norm and you do a 10 - 20 % waterchange every wek or 2... you should be able to pak that tank to the gills.. OH ps What is the filters? Just Powerheads? LR and Live sand? its worked for me for years.......

I'd watch the sally lightfoot too.  I've heard they can turn aggressive.  My advice would be to drop it and get a smaller emerald.

I have about 28lbs of live rock in my 15g.  Im very happy with that amt.  You do have to remember though that a lot of the corals that you purchase are going to come with a pretty decent piece of live rock so don't go overboard on the live rock before you get all your corals.  It's amazing how much live rock you will add that come with the corals you purchase.  Two fish is fine (depending on the fish)  I have 3 in mine.  I also have a huge coral banded shrimp (love him) a small orange knobby star, 14 astrea snails and one unidentified one, 4 blue legged hermits, and about 6 or 7 diff corals so far.  With a cpr backpack skimmer and everything is doing great.

i have no problem with that amount of LR. i have a 10 gal with 20 lbs of LR. gonna stock aorund 40 lbs or more in my 29 gal. the hermits and snails are good but i wouldnt keep that many hermits tho, i just hate hermits for what they did to my snails. whats crazy was that was just at a LFS in miami and the guy told this lady whos getting into reefing that she can keep 12-20 fishes in a 30 gal tank. is that even possible?

hi :flower2:

15gal tank

atualy for the basics

1 pound of live rock per 1 gal of tank is good enoff or

.5 per if you can afford that much with rest made up with

base rock

if you can aford more than that it depends on the size of the rock you do need some room for the fish to swim

and other critters so you can see them^__^

as for substrata aka sand

that is a personal choice

more sand less rm for your critters^__^ my choices is

no more than 2 inches of sand i use a mix of fine and med sand with little crushed shells on top

i just like the way crushed shells and coral looks on the top of the sand

my first tank( a 15gal) had just crushed coral and shells as sub

goodtankpic1.jpg

once its set up rock with lots of little caves is best

gives critters some place to feel safe untill they feel comfortable

what you put in for critters is quite personal

you do need cleaning crew

snails to eat the alges(for 15gal i would put in 3 or 4)

some hermet crabs that stay small to eat any left over food(most crabs can be canabilistic) i have some red leged hermet crabs i find do not have that caritistic their bodys are bright red but their eye stocks are yellow

4 or 5 is good in 15gal

a sand sifter is a good fish to have it sturs the sand up

a small gobie type is good

i also recomend a cleaner wrass the small on that has

drk blue and sea blue strips diagnal on its body (they will clean paricites off your fish)

as to fish and corals ect...

that is a personal choice ^_^

it depends what kind of tank you want

ie. fish and critters that interact

a pair of occis or perks(male and femal) or a seba type

and condy anemone(sebas types will take very well with almost any anemone once their settled in ^__^

a couple of peppermint shrimps(they can help controul

un wanted asp)and some times they breed *O*

some babys can survive if your filture dosnt suck them up(keep covers on all you intake saves fish and other things from being sucked in and killed)

if you want a crab get a anemone crab or porsiland

their small and dont really need a anemone but its nice for them(they tend to hide alot if you dont have one they will acept any anemone)

crabanemone2.jpghidandeseak1.jpg

the anemone with my allaird is a seba, the one with the crab is condy^__^

the fish in front of allaird(clown seba type) is a scooter blenny named bennie(femal she dances for me like im her mate ahhh sooo cute)

any how i like that type of tank ^__^

in that tank my 15 gal i have

pair of occis clowns

1 alliard clown

1 cleaner wrass

1 scooter blenny

1 cleaner shrimp

4 hermet crabs

1 porciland crab

1 manderin

2 condys(anemones)

1 seba (anemone)

2 lrg feather dusters

1 flower pot coral

some reg mushrooms

about 3 or 5 pounds of live rock

about the rest is base rock(live rock here is 13 dollars a pound ouch 8( )

hope that give you and idea

Archived