inTank Media Baskets

Lighting Question

HCJohn

I posted this at RC without any response as of yet so I figured I would give it a go here. Maybe its just a lame question that I could figure out on my own. :P

Hi all, First post here.

I just setup a 26 gallon Bow Front Tank. I used to have some larger tanks years ago but got out of it due to cost and children.

Anyways, Im wanting to know about lighting recommendations for tanks this size. Here is what I will have as soon as it arrives. Right now I have a 18inch NO Powerglo bulb. If I remember thats a 50/50 type bulb. I have a Power Compact setup on the way...to 55watt bulbs...one actintic and the other I cant remember. Sad huh?

Is this going to be enough light for corals/Anemones? I want to put in 2 tomato clowns and probably a Long Tentacle anemone at sometime. I feel for sure from my past that this will be enough for that but I never did the reef thing and would like any help possible to keep a healthy and productive tank.

Im sure I will have more questions and until I get feedback I will just continue reading away. Thanks in advance.

It will be fine for the anemone but you need to be a bit more descriptive on "corals". When people talk about the corals they want to keep (ie softies, SPS, LPS, etc) this will play a large roll in if you have enough light. You've def. got quite a bit for softies and LPS but SPS would be very borderline IMO.

Cameron

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to let the light determine what I stock rather than what I want determine it. If I got what I want it wouldnt be a nano. :) Of course I would be rich and living the high life if I got what I wanted as well. I really do appreciate the info.

Just one more. I keep reading about these 70watt Halides that are out now. Is this something I could add later that would enable me to run some SPS? Ive always liked the Halide look and used to run them on my old 90 but I always fought heat and I really dont want another huge canopy and chiller setup.

Thanks again.

Well....you'd likely wanna look at a hanging light assembly then with built in fans if you wanna avoid a chiller setup with halides. HQI lighting requires a UV glass shield (read REQUIRES) and placing a setup on top of a tank isn't ideal.

Cameron

Archived