Top Shelf Aquatics

Auto top off

nanoman27

I want to get a auto top off for my cadlights 12 gallon i am getting.I want a ato kit . can someone reccomend me one or tell me how to build one.

I want to get a auto top off for my cadlights 12 gallon i am getting.I want a ato kit . can someone reccomend me one or tell me how to build one.

The kits listed are pretty good. You can also get the Coralvue top off for $60, which is complete.

or you can do it your self pretty easy as well. What type of a top off do you want? I am going to guess you need to use float switchs and a pump. Do you have enough room for 2 float switchs in your setup? If so do 2 switchs, one primary, and a backup mounted just a little above the primary so if anything stops the primary from shutting off, it will not overflow. Then for a pump, I like the Tom Aqualifer, about $15. Pumps really slow which is good.

Kim

TriggerHappyDude
The kits listed are pretty good. You can also get the Coralvue top off for $60, which is complete.

or you can do it your self pretty easy as well. What type of a top off do you want? I am going to guess you need to use float switchs and a pump. Do you have enough room for 2 float switchs in your setup? If so do 2 switchs, one primary, and a backup mounted just a little above the primary so if anything stops the primary from shutting off, it will not overflow. Then for a pump, I like the Tom Aqualifer, about $15. Pumps really slow which is good.

Kim

This is the Tom Aqualifter...

http://www.autotopoff.com/pumps/aw20/

Maximum Pumping Height (Max Head):30 inches

Do you think the 30" Pumping Height Max is good enough to take the water from my ATO container up to the back of my Solana tank?

Is this one submersible? I'm wanting a pump for my ATO too.

This is the Tom Aqualifter...

http://www.autotopoff.com/pumps/aw20/

Do you think the 30" Pumping Height Max is good enough to take the water from my ATO container up to the back of my Solana tank?

Is this one submersible? I'm wanting a pump for my ATO too.

I believe it can both draw 30" and pump 30" giving you a total of 60" and no I don't believe it is submersible.

TriggerHappyDude
I believe it can both draw 30" and pump 30" giving you a total of 60" and no I don't believe it is submersible.

Is there any advantage to this one over another one or even one that is submersible?

I guess this one pumps slow which is good for ATO? I'm just looking for an ideal pump to run my ATO which will be controlled by a ReefKeeper Elite controller, would this be a good one? Any other better ones?

I just have about 40-50" from inside my Solana tank stand to the ATO chamber in the back of the tank.

Is there any advantage to this one over another one or even one that is submersible?

I guess this one pumps slow which is good for ATO? I'm just looking for an ideal pump to run my ATO which will be controlled by a ReefKeeper Elite controller, would this be a good one? Any other better ones?

I just have about 40-50" from inside my Solana tank stand to the ATO chamber in the back of the tank.

[/quote

If you are not going to do kalk in you top off you could use a Maxijet or some other submersible pump without any problems. But if you decide to do Kalk at any time in the future you will need a slow pump so the kalk just drips in.

Kim

TriggerHappyDude
If you are not going to do kalk in you top off you could use a Maxijet or some other submersible pump without any problems. But if you decide to do Kalk at any time in the future you will need a slow pump so the kalk just drips in.

Kim

I think if I was going to do Kalk, which I'm not at this point, that would be an entire separate pump for "dosing" which would be a slower drip pump, as you mentioned.

In this case its just an ATO pump, being turned on/off by the RKE, and I'm just looking for suggestions and ideas on what is good to use in that case; submersible or not, power, etc?

Archived