Coral Vue Hydros

It came up through the substrate and schmegma'd!

SeaMountain

About an hour after running a magfloat and feeding the 'verts I walked across the room and noticed something bright green hanging off the LR just above the substrate. At first I thought it was some algae which clung there after the cleaning. Then I notice it undulating and leading directly down into the sand. The top - or end of it - appeared to resemble a bunch of hair algae while the lower portion leading into the sand was tubular. "Some type of nudi?" was my next thought so I grabbed the digi camera.

I took a couple of shots and then all of a sudden it released a cloudy substance - yeah I know - into the tank. Not once or twice but at least three or four times. If you look just above the green you can discern the cloud. Afterwards it slowly pulled back and went back into the sand. I've never seen it before. Can you ID it?

Terebellid worm? Maybe?

Terebellid Worm

The Terebellid Worm, is commonly called the Thread Worm or Spaghetti Worm. Most of these worms usually conceal themselves in the sand, a crevice in the rock, or in a tube constructed from grains of sand. Their body remains hidden inside its tube, yet numerous thread-like filaments are fed out into the surrounding water to trap food. Very small food particles/detritus stick to the filaments where cilia on its thread-like tentacles draw particles of waste matter to its mouth. They are harmless and interesting to watch. Found both in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean and are valuable additions to most sandbeds.

it's the rare and elusive green sand thingy. Also known as the green goo from below, the green stuff that makes me ill, that green mess is scaring the kids and my personal favorite, green arms, green dick, whatever.

It sounds, and looks, like it might be a spaghetti worm

I have a spaghetti worm or two I've seen. And this is nothing like them. The worms are smooth and this was like it was wearing Tom Berenger's camo suit in 'Sniper'.

Looking up 'terrebellid worm' I found this pic:

Terrebellid.jpg

Tentacles of a terrebellid worm. The tentacles are sent out in search of particulate matter (detritus, etc.) which is captured and brought back to the worm.Ý These worms often expel a cloud of excrament.

Might be a variation of what I took pics of. It did expel a cloud, but they don't resemble each other. And it is quit a bit larger than the spaghetti worms I've seen extend from the LR.

sea, since it's living in the sand, stick your hand in, scoop it out and photograph the whole thing.

oh, and put your stripper eye patch on. don't want to aggrivate an already sticky situation

How many times do I need to tell you Phreaks... 'Stripper Eye' is no laughing matter!

Here's a higher quality copy of the pic though...

Thing1.JPG

I don't think so drdrew. They've recently shown up within the last couple of weeks. They are appearing on the glass every few days as well and seem to be more of an algae.

Archived