ReefCleaners.org

For those that purchased the Oceanic Biocube Protien Skimmer.

DoubleD

I bought one a couple of days ago and ALMOST bought a more powerful air pump...

The check valve that ships with this unit was defective. (Not the valve to adjust the airflow, but the valve with the clear chamber and an arrow showing flow direction; it stops water from siphoning back out of the tank in the event the pump fails)

I've seen several posts complaining about crappy airflow, and I believe that this maybe the issue.

I took a toothpick and gently opened the rubber slit and it works fabulous. Or if you have an extra check valve, replace it.

Getting some nice dark green "tea" now.

:)

Just a heads up.

I haven't seen any micro-bubbles...

I believe the sponge the bottom of Chamber 3 of the Biocubes acts as a diffuser of bubbles.

If you threw it out, I would put it back in or replace it.

I still have mine in, even though I have thrown out the bioballs.

KeefyReefer

I still have the sponge in chamber 3... I don't have the skimmer but I have been looking into buying one.

Would you suggest it?

I'm not an expert on skimmers by any means. Some people in here wouldn't suggest the Oceanic skimmer because it doesn't pull out stuff like a $150 skimmer. (flame on)

I was looking for an option to pull that "extra" goo out of the water. And didn't want to spend an arm and a leg.

I don't have a huge bioload and I have extra live rock for the size of my tank. (going by the 1 pound per gallon rule).

I also do not have rare and expensive meat eating corals, super lights, or a refugium.

The only mods I've done to my tank are to take out the bioballs, and 1 unit of chemi-pure elite in Chamber 2, replace the stock powerhead with a MaxiJet 1200, and cut down the barrier between 1 and 2 to allow for more flow, throw out the Oceanic pad filter and use my own stiff pad on top of chamber 2 instead of the lid that came with (see pics below).

That being said, in order to install the Biocube skimmer, you have to use the suction cups to the back glass of the tank, because once you cut away the divider for more flow, you can't use the hanging clip, the skimmer will site too low in the water.

If you notice also, I had to trim the lip on the back of the trim so the cup would fit.

That is also about the height you want the bubbles to come out.

post-41021-1236108469_thumb.jpg

Finished and in place:

post-41021-1236108651_thumb.jpg

My official review is:

It pulls stuff out of the water as indicated by the 1/8th inch of green/brown crap in the bottom of the cup daily.

Noticeably clearer water, and the livestock seem to be responding nicely.

I don't notice microbubbles, but like I said, that sponge in chamber 3 is a diffuser, I would keep it and check it once every couple water changes and rinse it out.

Hope that helps.

I'll update as I get a couple more weeks under it.

Archived