SaltCritters.com

whats wrong with my plate coral???

mcgyvr

Just got this sucker like 3 days ago, its never really filled out like it was in the store and its emitting this gel string like crap around the tank, Im not sure if its sick/dying or just not used to the tank yet, its like 1/2 the size it was in the store.

parts of it look like its breaking apart and ...I dont know its not looking good, water params are awesome.

platecoral.jpg

well maybe not awesome

sal: 1.023

pH: 8.2

Am: 0

Nitrate: 8mg/l

Temp: 81

everything else is doing just fine

hammer coral/green buttons/feather duster/clownfish

just did a 10% water change after the test

either that is a really big macro shot or that is a long tentacle plate which are generally more delicate and suceptible to random and unexplained deaths, even after years of doing quite well. It looks as if the polyp is rather torn up. This could either be from shipping damage.. or perhaps you have too much current on the thing and its tearing the flesh against its own skeleton. Any chance of a pic under whiter lights?

Yep it was a heliofungia, but its dead now, must have gotten beat up pretty bad in transit from the LFS in my car, I had only had it for a couple days and yesterday the water was sooo cloudy that I couldnt see the back of the tank so I took it out and threw it away (forgot to turn off powerhead and when I removed it I accidentally put it near the powerhead outlet and it just blew all its tentacles all over so I did a water change and vacuumed all its parts out and now everything is back to normal, thats life I guess at least it was a cheap coral and not an expensive one.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was beyond saving.

these things are VERY HARD TO KEEP.. i wanted to get one for the longest time till i learned more about them.. even the lfs employee told me they were bad news.. so i didnt buy them.. they r just hard to keep...

I had a little plate that I picked up when it was the size of a quarter. This thing grew insanely fast, I transported to to someone else's tank, it more than doubled in size again and then I got it back. It was doing great until my hammer fell and stung the crap out of it. Might die now.

I will definitely replace it. Easy to care for in my opinion. Simply drop a mysys near the mouth and it eats.

Archived