ReefCleaners.org

Rio Nano Skimmer skimate

kam286

I noticed quite a few of you have the Rio Nano skimmer. I just picked one up on Sunday and its been running really well and getting tea colored skimate. My question is if anyone is getting dry skimate, and what adjustments you made? Also am I jumping the gun here expecting dry skimate with only a weeks worth of break-in.

For those of you who have had this skimmer a while, how is it working out for you?

Thanks and Im looking forward to your responses!

I'm not sure if it's the nature of the design with having to make everything smaller, but I have yet to see dry skim from many nano sized skimmers. Mostly you get the tea coloered water. It'll probably work better as time goes on.

I have this skimmer and have tried everything possible to it and have never got Dry skimmate. I am getting a nice dark skimmate now and am pleased with it overall for the price. For $20 you can't beat it. My biggest complaint is that it needs the water level constant and high or it looses prime. It is a function of the air injection venturi that is used.

I have this skimmer and have tried everything possible to it and have never got Dry skimmate. I am getting a nice dark skimmate now and am pleased with it overall for the price. For $20 you can't beat it. My biggest complaint is that it needs the water level constant and high or it looses prime. It is a function of the air injection venturi that is used.

+1 to the wate level. How did you get dark wet skimmate? Mine is alway tea colored also.

Do you use the filter pad? Do you reduce the water flow?

hooligan_78

I have dark green skimmate. I have the air line pulled up as far as a I can without losing flow. This also makes it even more sensitive to water level.

I think you guys are right, this thing was not designed to make even moderate dry skimmate. I tried the above but still get tea colored water in the cup. If anyone else has any experience with getting this thing to dry skim Im all ears!

Sorry wasn't watching this thread. Yea dry skimmate is out but a darker than tea skimmate is possible. Here's how I have mine setup.

1. Back the water flow down as low as it will go (100GPH through a chamber that is only 2"x 4" is way tooo much)

2. Remove rubber plug from side of intake tube.

3. Lift air line as high as it will go without Loosing prime and start there.

4. Once a day check skimmate and dump the skimmate then lower the air intake slightly and repeat this daily until you get no change in skimmate color.

5. I've also taken the carbon insert out and removed the filter pad and carbon from the plastic. Reinsert the plastic and run only filter floss between it and the skimmer outlet.

When doing maintenance be sure to clean the impeller on the motor. You could also mesh mod the impeller but this is beyond the scope of this thread.

Steve

Thanks hcsceo I will have to try that when I get home!

Also has anyone tried to hook up an air pump to the air line, do you think that would help produce a drier skmmate?

Just to update, the air pump did not work as it breaks the siphon. Quick question though where should my water level be? Also when I pull up the air line I seem to get less air not more, is this the way it suppose to be?

Archived