inTank Media Baskets

Brooklyn water 44 TDS?!?

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

I just got a new TDS meter made by HM digital (cheapo meter - but airwaterice carries their meters) and tested my tap water. 44 TDS. That sounds crazy to me - NYC water at 44 TDS? Is my TDS meter a piece of crap, or has anyone else in the area had similar results?

From what I hear, Brooklyn has extremely clean water. The Brooklyn Brewery uses tap water to make it's beer. So your TDS is right. However, with the chlorimines and everything else in water, I still wouldn't recommend using it.

Deleted User 6
From what I hear, Brooklyn has extremely clean water. The Brooklyn Brewery uses tap water to make it's beer. So your TDS is right. However, with the chlorimines and everything else in water, I still wouldn't recommend using it.

Yeah, I have an RO/DI unit - 0 TDS is still better than 44. Just wanted to make sure I could trust my meter.

Brooklyn and NY water in general has low TDS but don't let that fool you.

NY waters have one of the highest SDI or Silt Density Indexes in the country which means there are lots of suspended solids or particulates and particles. NY water is tough on prefilters as it clogs them. I recommend pleated prefilters such as the ZetaZorb from Spectrapure since they have 10x the surface area and are less prone to plugging and fouling.

Archived