Top Shelf Aquatics

Slow OverFlow speed

R-nel

Once again I need a little help from the experts. my overflow speed seemed very slow, the tank is a 60gal with a built in overflow 4X4 in one corner 1" bulk head with 1" plumbing down to the refugium derectly below the overflow but with 2 45 degree. I'm running a mag 9.5 turned down about halfway closed, cant open it any more as it will over run the overflow. I've tried different hight pipe in the overflow box to see if the speed will increase but only made the noise lever louder with a shorter pipe. I have very little flow from the return since its choke down which is a waste of energy on the pump. How can make the overflow flow any faster????

i think pictures are in order... ill ask a silly question... do you have a strainer on your drain? if so is it clogged? if you dont have a stariner there could be a snail or something in the drain its self

EDIT: you are also aware that a 1.25 inch drain is needed to drain 900gph... you will have to throttle the mag down some to meet the 700gph drian you have in there... its a good idea to have lower flow going through your sump/fuge... you may just want to get a smaller pump

i think pictures are in order... ill ask a silly question... do you have a strainer on your drain? if so is it clogged? if you dont have a stariner there could be a snail or something in the drain its self

EDIT: you are also aware that a 1.25 inch drain is needed to drain 900gph... you will have to throttle the mag down some to meet the 700gph drian you have in there... its a good idea to have lower flow going through your sump/fuge... you may just want to get a smaller pump

NO no strainer, the drain is not clogged. I have a 2200 quiet one from the old tank which I think is a 500gph, I'll see if this one works best. I didn't realise I need a 1.25 drain for the mag 9.5, glad I asked.

Archived