Coral Vue Hydros

Help for Newbie - 4 x 19 Watt Curly's

DSparks

Hi all . . . I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks, and found them extremely helpful. I started work on my 10 gallon hood this weekend. I've purchase 4 19 Watt 6500k "Curly" lights from Home Depot. That will give my about 7.6 watts per gallon. I believe this is enough light, but not completely sure.

Here are my questions:

Is this enought light for most corals?

Is 6500K only enough, or Do I also need a 10K?

A couple things to keep in mind . . . this is my beginner tank, so I won't be trying to keep difficult species in it. That comes later in my big tank. Also, if I do need more light, suggestions will be welcomed!

Thanks again for all your help in advance.

the spectrum is important. Although you may be fine with 6500K, corals wil need the addition of some actinic lighting to the mix. If you like 6500K...go for it...most prefer the 10,000K, but since you are using the curly/home lights, you will have a hard time finding them. You will want to add some actinic however. Also be aware that those lights may be more favorable to algae growth than some bluer bulbs, so just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the advice, I just ordered a 13W Dark Blue Actinic package to add into the mix. Hopefully this will help to round out the lighting for my 10 gallon!

Archived