Cultivated Reef

Coral beauty- Good or bad for a 20 gallon.

maroonclown

i don't think so. maybe some one else can tell you for sure. i don't think they are reefsfae and i'm pretty sure they will get to big for a nano.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Coral Beauty in my 20 gallon and it did horrible. It refused to eat and just sat in a corner. It became clear that it is not enough room for how active these guys are and mine had to go back. You may have better luck, but I would say stay away.

the 2 fish would get along but coral beauty is not a hardy fish & not a great choice for a nano i know some people have had good luck with them in a 30 so a 20L should be okay but something to seriously consider is they do best in a tank which has been setup for more than 6 months and they eat alot which means a higher bioload:( so just do your research

Well, the tank has been set up for about 14 months. I've read coral beauties are relatively hardy fish, and they are one of the "smaller" centropyge angels. I've already made a mistake with a potter's angel, but it did survive for 3 months until, well, it died. Is the yellow tail dwarf angel a good choice (max length: 3.1 inches)?

well if the tank has been up that long you should be okay and the best angel to get is the coral beauty for they stay small size

my advise is just watch the water quality and watch to see if he picks at anything

good luck

San Diego Reefer

IMO Coral Beauties should be kept in larger tanks than you have. These fish can get to be 4" long and as with most Dwarf Angels they are busy swimmers. They are also big eaters for their size and so have several things going against them for smaller tanks. Keep in mind that Coral Beauties fall into the category of "Reef Safe - With Caution".. this means that you could have a problem with them picking at corals or clam mantles. Is it worth it?

I would say.. get a goby to go with your lawnmower blenny and have two personable peaceful fish that make you happy, instead of making you wonder if it will live.

do not put a poor drawf angel in a 20 gallon. we have a coral beauty in our 50 gallon(48 inch tank) and he constantly swims across that whole span in and out of the LR. they need lots of room.

stick with fish that dont move much, clowns, blennies, firefish, cardinal fish, chromis(some like to swim some sit still).

hth

I had a change of plans. The coral beauty is out. I can't afford the damage it may do to corals and clams. I do have a goby in with the blenny, but he hides most of the time. I do want any active swimmer to finish out the fish population, but I don't know what fish I would want. I do not want psuedochromis, damsels, or clowns. Do you have any suggestions on what fish to look into?

P.S., I realize wrasse would make excellent choices, but I can't afford most of the nano-appropriate wrasse. Are there any fish you would recommend under $40?

6 line wrasse.

Clown goby.

Algae Blenny.

there are TONS of options.

just need to look around ;)

FWIW, every angel is different. Some are OK in a small tank, others "whigg out" and die.

try a Dwarf cherub Atlantic angel they are much smaller.

Already have the algae blenny, but mine was $20! Also, I thought of the cherub, but I'm trying to stick to an Indo-Pacific/Hawiian theme with the tank. Thanks for the list.

Archived