Coral Vue Hydros

Urchinhead's 56 gallon Starfire tank

Urchinhead

Urchinhead
That looks like plumbing all right! :lol:

You always were the smart one Fossi! :)

All that detail & commentary is going to be very helpful to someone I'm sure but it makes my head hurt.

:)

Don't feel bad. Think about how my head felt after staring at it for so long I had to redo it all over again then go through redoing it! :)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Urchinhead

I can't post photos until Monday because I left my camera connector at the office but...

As of 1630 PDT 05/08/09 there is water, rock and sand in the new tank!!! :scarry::naughtydance: :omgomgomg:

I know I know photos or it didn't happen but you can check the time stamps on the photos and the date/time ticker on CNN running in the background! ;)

Urchinhead

Aye. That be me. ;) Seriously though not much to look at right now as the sand silt is still in the water column and hasn't fully settled in yet. Tomorrow should be much better. So I will shoot some shots then that do it a bit more justice.

Urchinhead

And we are of to the races!

FTS with the ATI 6 bulb, the current (subject to change) rockwork, and the sump/chiller.

Right now only the return pump and chiller are active with the dosing system and ATO still to be completed so that's why you see hoses hanging off.

Also there is only one Vortech active in the tank right now. I am looking for the bloody wet side for the other one... Sigh.

th_fts-1-51009.jpg

th_fts-2-051009.jpg

th_sump-1-051009.jpg

Urchinhead

All fully cured live rock. 70% of it from my old tank after its crash. 20% of the remaining 30% is not from the old tank and is the shelf rock on the top left corner and the rock its attached to. The reamaining 10% is the rock on the right side under the overflow on the bottom next to the one with the hole in it. 90% of it has been curing in a brute trash can for the last 3 months and that last 10% (the rock on the right) was taken from a mature tank and put into this tank within 1 hour of being removed.

Urchinhead

You know the old saying "If it isn't broken don't F### with it!"...? Yeah... About that... I was staring at the tank last night and about 2300 said to myself "maybe a little tweak..." and this is what I got...

Full Tank Shot after rock rework at 2300 hours last night:

th_fts051109.jpg

Jawfish Home:

th_jawfishcave051109.jpg

In the process I moved the vortech and was mesmerized by how it created one of these on reef crest mode so I decided to snap a shot of it.

th_vortechwaterspout051109.jpg

Urchinhead

And a quick preview of what's been hiding in my garage for the last several months while I get my act together and get this tank going.

th_rhomboid6-051109.jpg

Don't worry this guy's only been in there about 2 weeks, is eating like a pig, almost eats out of my hand now, isn't showing signs of stress, and will be going up top ASAP. He's in a 33 gallon now with a clown, helfrich, and a 12" Derasa who is the reason why I moved the rocks around and may do so again. Sigh. I bought him because at the price I couldn't pass him up and live with myself. He was less than the lowest price Mystery Wrasse I have seen online.

He's a super/terminal male Rhomboid wrasse by the way.

Urchinhead

Thank you SDT. You still are the Gold Standard when it comes to tanks though.

I got him for two reasons (well three) First it would p1ss off Kraylen... I keed! I keed! Second it was an unbelievable price. About 10% over wholesale. Third he was a beautiful fish.

I was very worried (and still am) about him in such a small tank but so far so good knock on wood! I plan to put a Velvet Fairy in the new tank at the same time with him and am trying to track down a female for him if possible. He and the Helfrich literally sleep together and he and the clown get along very well.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (AP_(PFIAWHFIPWAHERIPWHtj

W

WTHPWAIHP{AW(JTO(AWJfgp[agj

A{Sdj

asjg

pasdjg

psa

j

sa-j

OMGGGERZ I am hella jealz.

I thought there was gonna be a tang in here.

Urchinhead

I *TOLD* you not to look!

Oh and I pulled the tang out last night. ;) Actually there was a very small (1 1/2") Kole tang in there for a while. He stopped eating and wasted away. My fault entirely because of my hubris and belief that he would be fine in holding for the short time I thought it would take me to get this tank up.

No more tangs after that. I really don't like killing fish. Especially if its because of my own ego and arrogance.

If you want one, are willing to hold me harmless for loss, and are willing to pay the freight to ship, the place I got it from will be getting some more in soon. That offer goes for others here as well. You know who you are. Just PM me and we can set something up.

Urchinhead

Love and kisses Kraylen. ;)

Update:

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates at 10 as of last night... Time for the Cheato and *MAYBE* a move of the clown from holding into tank along with another big piece of fully cured live rock... Thoughts anyone?

Oh and what I like to call "proof of life"...

proofoflife1.jpg

I am hoping that I have an infestation of these guys so I can justify a Harlequin shrimp...

WATER SPOUT, RUN.....ER......SWIM FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!

th_vortechwaterspout051109.jpg

Beautiful fish the wrasse is. Tagging along cause.....well........I want to!

Urchinhead

And to you as well...

Aye, seems to be about that time. Thinking to toss in a Cheato bundle to help with the nitrates, do a 20% change, and test over a couple more days to make sure nothing creeps up on me then add in the first fish this Sunday or so.

I have been pretty strict on what went in (vodka to increase carbon and thus bacteria growth, fully cured live rock, seed live rock from a mature tank, etc) so as to avoid as much of the expected algae bloom as possible and keep the cycle soft and fast.

Archived