Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmer prototype

Artie1a

I believe I have a new skimmer prototype. It is the first ever (I think) HOB air driven counter current skimmer (Patent Pending :) ). It needs a little refining for efficiency and aesthetics, but seems like it will work as good as inside the tank or better with refining. It is really quiet minus the little noise from the air pump. Let me know what you think.

post-38832-1235508313_thumb.jpg

The major thing here is does it skim? And for that we need evidence! If it's working well then kudos!

We will see what happens. It should skim. Tomorrow I'm going out and buying a tetra luft pump. This will help with the performance. This skimmer is a little crude right now.

how is the skimmer fed? and returned to the tank? why not just use that pump as a source of microbubbles with a venturi and a needle wheel... seems pretty silly if its feed is a pump, and then you have an air stone to for the actual bubbles

how is the skimmer fed? and returned to the tank? why not just use that pump as a source of microbubbles with a venturi and a needle wheel... seems pretty silly if its feed is a pump, and then you have an air stone to for the actual bubbles

It is completely air driven. The water is fed by siphon, then returned back to the tank by air. I'm trying to make a skimmer that is relatively quiet and effective for a nano tank. Besides, it's fun for me to do little projects like this.

From research i have read, counter current skimmers are the easiest on water which would make it ideal for a nano tank. Most counter current skimmers of this sort are usually inside the tank which robs valuable real estate. This skimmer design will hopefully solve both problems.

not_sponsored

I'd make the siphon tube a little shorter, if your cup starts overflowing when you're not around you could empty your tank down to where that siphon goes.

Also might be a good idea to build in some kind of precaution against this.

I'd make the siphon tube a little shorter, if your cup starts overflowing when you're not around you could empty your tank down to where that siphon goes.

Also might be a good idea to build in some kind of precaution against this.

I don't think i understand what exactly you are saying. The skimmer will only fill to tank level. if the skimmer is adjusted to tank height properly there will never be an overflow even if i were to loss power.

Archived