Top Shelf Aquatics

Acro ID please

JohnnyMTB

Bought this as a brown acro but it doesn't look like the acros in Bornemans coral book, it looks a lot bushier. Is this an acro, if it is any idea what type?

Thanks,

John

not pocillopora, it's an acro.

not sure which one though but it sure is nice. if you have it under good lighting, it might change color on you.

Thanks Crak! Can't find any pictures of acro with polyps like that, I'll keep looking. It's under PC, 96w quad, about 5-6 inches below fixture. When I got it it was all brown, can't tell from pic but tissue is getting a green sheen to it, especially when viewed from above. Getting lots of new growth (white on ends and at base) and the new polyps almost look lavender. It's still a very small frag so maybe after it grows out a bit I'll be able to nail exact name down.

CalciumOverdose

acropora abrolhosensis

acropora horrida

acropora tumida

acropora granulosa

these are corals that are worth looking into.

picture that you posted looks alot like these.

although they all look alike, their growth patterns, polyp extention, and skelletal structure are different.

in some cases, their colors are also a way to tell, but like all stony corals, their colors change depending on your bulbs color temperature.

good luck with the coral, and take care of it.. it has alot of potential

Thanks a lot Ca-OD! Found a website that has hundreds of coral pics, gave up after finding about a dozen "close" acros. Will try to find the website again and focus on the names you gave me. Saw pics of your tank- awesome!

Archived