Innovative Marine Aquariums

BC 29 chiller for summer use

JPotter

I have had a BC29 for about a year. I am fairly useless when it comes to understanding and setting up equipment. To date I have run the BC pretty much as I got it...except for the heater I have. I have added an extra in tank powerhead and recently took out the Bioballs and added a BC skimmer to the first chamber.

Last summer when I was away the tank over heated and I lost several corals. I would like to have a chiller set up to run in the hot weather. What piece of equipment is advised? Can I run it with the heater on as well when I am away? Can I add it without chopping up the BC hood or will modifications be required?

If someone has done this could they email detailed instructions if that is not appropriate for the list.

Also I would love to have a refugium as I thought perhaps I could make it into a flat reed bed type environment rather than higher flow with rocks. Is that feasible with the tiny BC29? How does one set it up?

How to add equipment onto a BC29

Tanks for any/all advice..I certainly need it:)

You can run both a heater and a chiller at the same time.

You will have to modify your hood. There are two hoses that you need to create access for. Also the chiller will have a pump, so you will need some space in your chambers for that as well.

Archived