Coral Vue Hydros

Octopus BH 100 too much for a 29 gallon?

southernfried

I asked this same question about a different skimmer about last week...

I was told there is no such thing as overskimmer.

But the BH100 is regulated for that size tank...this I know. Why not get the BH100F with the powerhead outside the tank?

"Overskimming" is a poorly defined term, we need to define it to move forward. I don't agree that it doesn't exist. If you're wet skimming with your cup set at its lowest and you're talking out a quart of skimmate a day, that's probably too much. But a simple adjustment will fix that. Every single aquarium is different across at least 20 characteristics, in its bio load, flow characteristics, amt of live rock, type of feeding you do, how much, depth of sand bed, how clean or dirty your skimmer is, temperature, etc, all of these factors contribute to your tank's nutrient needs, there's no single rule for right or wrong. With skimming, it's all about maintaining preferred water parameters, these (via testing and monitoring) should be your guide.

If properly adjusted, you should be able to dial in the "dryness" and also you can control (via a timer) how much the skimmer runs every day.

I have the Octo 100SS on my 29 and it's working fine, in fact I mesh modded it to get more bubbles. I'd rather be overequipped in this department than underequipped.

When you say "overskimming", what element or tank component do you worry it's taking out? If you're worried about depleting something, just buy a test kit for it and test for it regularly until you understand the demands of your system for that partiular nutrient or element, and determine whether your skimmer is even having an effect on it. A skimmer is not a vacuum cleaner, it does not "suck up" everything the same.

Archived