Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First coral in my tank . . what is it?

darwin604

I picked up a small colony of mushrooms (apparently a fairly good starter species) and they had this colony on sale and it was a nice small peice so I snagged it. I was told its some kind of zoanthid (sp?) but I'm wondering what exactly it is so I can find out some care information for it.

They're not overly colorful but I think they're kind of cool - just snapped this an hour after putting them in my tank, they were all curled up and they just opened up, they're quite small, the entire peice of rock is about 3 inches long:

fae8d360.jpg

thanks for any help!

ps. I'm a total newbie so go easy on me :)

Protopalythoa Sp.

Quite common, and related to the Grandus SP polops in the Atlantic. Nice starters indeed ;)

I feed mine a liquid puree` occasionaly aswell as decapsulated brine eggs. I have seen them eat OMEGA 1 flake food on occasion also.

Palythoa.

I have a ton of them. They reproduce like mad. If you have actinics, they -should- color up a nice neon green under them (if it's the same sort, mind you).

They're great. I feed mine bits of mysis shrimp, other finely diced food. They'll eat just about anything that hits them. I've got like three types now. Neon green/maroon, neon orange/maroon and neon green/maroon/pastell yellow. All from two original colonies.

Good stuff. :happy:

-Sumbel.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find some food for them next time I'm at my LFS.

:)

d.

ps. I have actinics (sort of). I ripped apart my canopy and I've got 2 x 11 watt Entela fluorescents and 2 x Coralife 50/50 (actinic/daylight) lights all retrofit screw-in style lights - all of which are bo-janged in with fittings from the hardware store. It's my first attempt at lighting for it . . any comments / suggestions??

Here's the lighting arrangement (pretty ghetto . . I know, but I think if I make some proper reflectors and stuff it will work until I have some money for a proper light fixture):

fae5f9bb.jpg

Archived