ReefCleaners.org

ELOS system mini/ Stockholm

ppsthlm

Some pictures of my seahorse being trained to "eat from a bowl". Not quite there yet, but we´re working on it.

(These pictures were taken just prior to cleaning the glass - the glass on the pictures is really dirty and full of little copepods coming through as white dots...)

post-41480-1237024381_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1237024390_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1237024400_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swedereefer
REFRACTOMETER VS HYDROMETER

I bought a new salinity-tester today, know that my previous one, the hydrometer "Deep Six", got lots of criticism for giving the wrong results. Now I got a refractometer instead, and the results from testing with both meters gave quite different results.

The refractometer read a salinity of 1.025, which is exactly where I want it to be.

The older hydrometer read 1.022.

Remeber that you need to compensate for the water temperature when you use the hydrometer.

Nice to see another swede by the way :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did not sell the Camel Shrimps - I kept them....

But today I noticed something really really strange. One of them seemed to be attacked by the other one when they were fed, but still he managed to find food. Something looked strange with him and all of a sudden I realized that he has no eyes anymore...

Is this normal?

I would expect that what happened is the other just cut off this ones eyes...

Still he seems to find food and all, but I feel terrible for him poor thing...

Ever heard of something like this happening before??

erichatesmice

Awesome. I like your theme. I may have missed it in your earlier posts, are you using any extra circulation or relying on your return pump?

Awesome. I like your theme. I may have missed it in your earlier posts, are you using any extra circulation or relying on your return pump?

Thank you very much.

No, I am only using my return pump since this is a seahorse-tank. With another pump in there I would blow them around. In fact the returnpump cannor run on full speed since that will make the watercurrent too strong. Not as easy to keep it clean with a low flow, but a low flow aquarium it is.

So I have a few new pictures from my tank and its inhabitants taken earlier this afternoon.

I still have no new and exciting coral in my display, and I really have to do something about this very soon. What I do have though is 2 different seahorse - one male (which is growing and looking more and more mature for every day - maybe he gets pregnant soon....:) and one female. Can you spot who´s who?? I think he still looks kind of childish, but still masculine - and she looks so so feminine...

I´ll soon totally redo the setup of my sump to use the small space in the cabinet much better than it originally was designed. I´ve ordered some new stuff to "personalize" it and I will update with more pictures and facts about that when I do get the new stuff... :D

post-41480-1239037744_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037765_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037776_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037782_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037789_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037803_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037810_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037818_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239037825_thumb.jpg

A little over a week ago I realized something was strange with one of the shrimps. Giving it a closer look both its eyes were gone. I would think the other shrimp (which was the smallest one, still the most aggressive one) cut off the eyes. Anyone ever saw anything like that??

The alternative of course is that the seahorse ate the eyes believing it was food - though I doubt that very much.

Anyways - it ate well, but after a few days it just totally disappeared and was nowhere to be found afterwords....

So now I have only one shrimp...

Anyone ever experinced a shrimp-fight like this, leaving one of the guys eye-less??

I'm sorry, but $1600 for a 20g system!!! A huge waste of money IMO.

Well, my suggestion to you is don´t buy one then.

I couldn´t agree with you any less. I like the design and function of the ELOS SYSTEM MINI. That makes it worth every penny of it. Besides I know for a fact that there is no way I could build another system that pleases my eyes with LED lighting, skimmer, sump and pumps for anything below that price.

If your goal is to save money don´t buy an aquarium IMO. That costs nothing.

B)

Well, my suggestion to you is don´t buy one then.

I couldn´t agree with you any less. I like the design and function of the ELOS SYSTEM MINI. That makes it worth every penny of it. Besides I know for a fact that there is no way I could build another system that pleases my eyes with LED lighting, skimmer, sump and pumps for anything below that price.

If your goal is to save money don´t buy an aquarium IMO. That costs nothing.

B)

For a little more, you could of bought a used 100g elos. They are completely over charging for these tanks. The stands are ugly and could made by someone else for a third of the price, and the lighting is sub-par. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of it but the price is just outrageous.

For a little more, you could of bought a used 100g elos. They are completely over charging for these tanks. The stands are ugly and could made by someone else for a third of the price, and the lighting is sub-par. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of it but the price is just outrageous.

You guys live in the US. I don´t. I bought mine in Italy and I did not pay $1600 for it. The ELOS SYSTEM 70 which is the next up costs more than twice the price of what I payed. Compared to what you get from other systems out there I think it´s a bargain.

And when it comes to the stands - I´ve never seen any that nice stands in a all-in-one system from any other brand than ELOS, but if you know some please let me know. I´ll be happy to check it out. I think all other systems that actually would come with a stand have really nasty looking stands and ELOS seems to be the only one giving a second thought about design and looks IMO. I think the look of the aquarium and stand and setup is a very important part of it all since that is the whole point with and aquarium in the first place - for it to look good. Keeping it with a modern interior ELOS by far is the most modern look out of all that I´ve ever seen. Except for some (very expensive) custom made setups of course.

moneyman6891

Elos has the best out their. Its the BMW of fish tanks. Why by a BMW when you can buy a Hyundai for a third of the price, because it is a BMW. You get what you pay for. I love the Elos tanks the only thing is that I think I the light needs more blue in it. But its still a beautiful setup.

I definitely agree, I don't think anyone has beat the Elos Mini on style and simplicity. You have a beautiful home!

Elos has the best out their. Its the BMW of fish tanks. Why by a BMW when you can buy a Hyundai for a third of the price, because it is a BMW. You get what you pay for. I love the Elos tanks the only thing is that I think I the light needs more blue in it. But its still a beautiful setup.

I do agree with you totally. Thank you very much.

The lack of blue - that´s the reason why my Zoas aren´t showing all their colour, right? Any other suggestions on how to bring out the colour in them?

ID HELP

Picture 1:

What´s this growing on my rock? Should I remove it? Looks like wool. Hard to photograph it though...

Picture 2:

This was on the Live Rock when I got it. Or one of them and smaller. Now they are two. What are they?? Looks like a little mini-Ricordea or something.... Please let me know...

post-41480-1239631435_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239631454_thumb.jpg

And here´s the reason why my E-LITE needs pimping... Corals are looking just brown, loosing the intensity in the color...

post-41480-1239643621_thumb.jpg

I don't know much about camel shrimp, but it's not a stretch to believe that they just aren't compatible with each other.

Edit: Also, you'll probably find that there are very few people in the US who actually value quality work. You could probably count the number of people who have an Elos or ADA tank on two hands on this forum. It doesn't make sense, but there you have it.

Well, as for the quality-thing I´m sure it´s like that in most of the world unfortunately. I know it´s ridiculous sometimes what things cost, but most of the time you actually do get what you pay for ;)

Anyways; Yesterday I got a delivery from England - some new Ricordea - finally some new coral in my tank :)

I was really really impressed with the efficency of the delivery-company. The were picked up in England the night before, delivered next morning at my address in Stockholm, Sweden - which is far away. This is what I feel has been one of the huge advantages you guys in the States have. We´re normally limited to like one or two small aquarium-shops who keep saltwaterfish in our local are, and once you order from another country it´s normally very complicated. Because the countries are small, so is the saltwaterhobby and the shops and their stock.

My Ricordea sure has fallen off the rock a few times, but during the day they seem to have rooted pretty well. Starting to opening up and all now... Feeling at home...

post-41480-1239902245_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239902254_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239902260_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239902266_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1239902278_thumb.jpg

Got a new fish yesterday. The last one I will add to the Elos System Mini. A gorgeous and fat Mandarin who eats lots of Mysis when I feed :D

Two seahorses and a Mandarin is enough for my tank. But I will add lots more coral in the future. Just have to get further with my lighting first.

I also bought some Prodibio Nano Kit. Anyone who uses this? It says to put one of each vial in every 15 days. Do I put the whole thing it at once or one drop at a time over 15 days??

post-41480-1240333918_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1240333926_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I made a temporare solution to the lighting problem. I am aware however that I need to change the whole lamp - and I will - but since I´m gonna change apartment in only 3 weeks I´ll wait with any further changes until I´ve moved.

I got to know that the problem with the E-LITE, despite the fact that it doesn´t have enought blue lighting, was that it is way too strong for my Ricordea. I made a temporary "dimmer" for the light, and it actually works great! The Ricordea stays on the rock now (instead of just hiding under it) and it opens up much more.

More changes will come - much more - but this will do for now...

post-41480-1244301545_thumb.jpg

post-41480-1244301557_thumb.jpg

Love your rockscape, hope you don't mind if I find some inspiration in it for my elos mini :)

If the light is too bright, you might want to ask elos about trading in your light for a customized 14k or 20k version, I know they will add as many blue bulbs as you wish. Personally I'm planning to use some 20k spotlights in addition to the e-lite.

Love your rockscape, hope you don't mind if I find some inspiration in it for my elos mini :)

If the light is too bright, you might want to ask elos about trading in your light for a customized 14k or 20k version, I know they will add as many blue bulbs as you wish. Personally I'm planning to use some 20k spotlights in addition to the e-lite.

Thank you so much. Well, I´m glad if someone can find some inspiration :D Looking forward to follow your setup.

Thanks for the tip - I´ll contact ELOS and hope they can help me changing the bulbs for me.

So you´re adding 20k spots. What kind? LEDs? What sort of light fixture area you using?

Archived