Cultivated Reef

Got a refractometer tonight..

05XRunner

well..I never used one of these before.

so I just used it for the first time. My hydrometer was reading 1.026 and the refractometer is reading 1.031 I guess that hydrometer was a bit off

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well..I never used one of these before.

so I just used it for the first time. My hydrometer was reading 1.026 and the refractometer is reading 1.031 I guess that hydrometer was a bit off

Did you calibrate the refractometer before you used it?

It may be the refractometer that's off...

i just checked it with my bottle of distilled..it was 1 point to high..wouldnt have made any difference. but still..its a little high..not worried though it isnt anything horrible high..I will get it down in the next few days

helped me sleep better knowing the right measurement, after I had just started my tank.. I much rather use something I can calibrate than to trust manufacturing tolerances.

i gota get me one of them.... but there friggen expensive

Not expensive when you consider the investment in your tank and the need to have accurate results.

Not expensive when you consider the investment in your tank and the need to have accurate results.

im 14 and got job. got 50$ in case something goes wrong. but i think as long as im consistent. with the SG with my hydrometer i should be ok.. i think. once i get some more $$ im deff getting one.

im 14 and got job. got 50$ in case something goes wrong. but i think as long as im consistent. with the SG with my hydrometer i should be ok.. i think. once i get some more $$ im deff getting one.

or you could test your water and see what its at...then have smeone with a refactometer test it and see wher eits at..then you can adjust the level you would mix your salt at on the hydrometer and then it would be the same...like mine..if I did that I would just mix my salt to 1.021 on my hydrometer and that would be 1.026 on the refractometer..so if you can do that..cost you nothing.

i gota get me one of them.... but there friggen expensive

$24 + shipping ($6 for me) on ebay for a ATC model from seller nissales, very satisfied with mine, only need a small calibration, great value, same thing my LFS sells for $80.......

Bought mine used for $30 from a buddy of mine. First time I measured with it I found out that my hydrometer was spot on. The refractometer is still a lot easier to use.

i thought so too, took good care of my hydro....and after only two years it was off, tested it against a refractometer when i got it and it was almost spot on, it got worse over time even with regular cleanings, by the 2 year mark it was reading 1.025 and the refractometer was reading 1.032 or so.....so i spent $31 and never looked back

NanoReefNovice
helped me sleep better knowing the right measurement, after I had just started my tank.. I much rather use something I can calibrate than to trust manufacturing tolerances.

Calibration may not bet linear (i.e. accurate at 0 does not meas accurate at 1.025), so use calibration solution in the range ur looking for.

Calibration may not bet linear (i.e. accurate at 0 does not meas accurate at 1.025), so use calibration solution in the range ur looking for.

from what i have read in tests both ways the difference is like .001 between using distilled at zero and fluid at .025, so i would not put too much into it

being 1.026 when you think it is 1.025 is fine, or being 1.024....., even 1.023 or 1.027 would not be harmful honestly because your tank is going to vary that much daily anyways....but accurate is always best

from what i have read in tests both ways the difference is like .001 between using distilled at zero and fluid at .025, so i would not put too much into it

being 1.026 when you think it is 1.025 is fine, or being 1.024....., even 1.023 or 1.027 would not be harmful honestly because your tank is going to vary that much daily anyways....but accurate is always best

That would depend entirely on each individual unit. If you happen to get a bad one, it doesn't matter if someone's "test" says there should only be a .001 difference. $4-5 for some solution and piece of mind is worth it to me.

That would depend entirely on each individual unit. If you happen to get a bad one, it doesn't matter if someone's "test" says there should only be a .001 difference. $4-5 for some solution and piece of mind is worth it to me.

lets just say it like this....my refracto has been checked against my hydro, my brother in laws hydro, and the LFS refractometer also.....taking all things into consideration, and cross-referencing between them taking into account the known variables.....no, it's really not worth $5 for me, but that's me

for someone ordering one if they are able to get a cheap bottle of solution tossed in, sure, but i cant get a bottle of solution shipped to me for $5, more like $10 after shipping (none available locally)

seriously guys, while i agree with being accurate, sometimes people take things to another unnecessary level

Define "unnecessary". It's silly to advise people that "everything will be fine" when you cannot make that determination based solely on your experience. You would be completely discounting the potentiality of there ever being a refractometer with a distorted prism.

Define "unnecessary". It's silly to advise people that "everything will be fine" when you cannot make that determination based solely on your experience. You would be completely discounting the potentiality of there ever being a refractometer with a distorted prism.

ok scott, you win, im not spending anymore time trying to convince myself what i know to be true already....you are free to convince the others your way is right and more correct, i gave my experience based on what i know, thats all i can do, i cant spend time worrying about or trying to avoid every possible scenario, sometimes good enough is good enough

Archived