Innovative Marine Aquariums

I'm a beginner at saltwater...How much did it cost you at first?

starbucks10v3r

$150,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I will settle out of court for a couple hundred and a few days on craigslist and nano-reef classifieds

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you live anywhere near Farmington New York? We have a Country Max that bought out a failed pet store and is selling Nano's for half price. I got my 24g for $133.00. I spent another $225 on 14lb. of Live Rock, 20 lb. Live Sand, RO galloned water, testing kits, sg testers... It was my lucky day. My live cured rocks came from PETCO with free items no one noticed; two Emerald Crabs, two snails, and a beautiful little orange crab. I'm keeping if very simple and basic. I keep reading that protein skimmers aren't always the way to go so I'm holding off on that. After the cycle is complete, I'm adding a live creature, starting with Cleanup Crews every two weeks when I get paid so that the expense is dragged out. If I need any rocks or equipment I bugdet it that way too. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the little ecosystem I have, even the traditional brown algae bloom is fascinating, and I don't mind that I have to wait for the next thing to go in. Shop around. Call or walk in to every store that sells equipment. You will get lucky.

You can do it on the cheap by buying used, using old equipment lying around and getting free/really cheap frags from others. I set up a 10g for my sister for under $350 (Canadian):

100W Stealth Heater $33.45 (New)

18" T5HOx2 light $50.00 (Used - Brand new in box)

Hydrometer $8.53 (New)

Aqua Clear 70 $20.00 (Used - modded to refugium)

Surface skimming attachment $ 10.29 (New)

4 LED striplight $10.00 (Submersible fuge light)

10g tank with glass lid $30 (Both new)

15lbs live rock $60 (Craigslist)

AC30 powerhead - old equipment

sand - left over from other build

That's about $230 and give or take $20, so a decent setup for under $250.

For livestock so far:

2 Tank raised Ocellaris $56.78

3 zoas frags $30.00

4 blue legged hermits, 5 nassarius, 2 astrea $11.75

3 heads frogspawn $30

Free frags from me.

If you watch the classifieds in your area (area forum, Craigslist, here, etc etc) you are bound to score some great deals to greatly bring down your costs.

Of course, you could always spend lots and lots too :)

Archived