Cultivated Reef

Pump Suggestions for 25 Gallon Upgrade?

Codeman

I'm in the process of upgrading my 5.5G to a 25G. I have basically everything I need except the light, pump(s) and more rock.

I currently run a Koralia Nano (260 GPH) for flow and a Rio 1100+ (300 GPH) for the sump return.

I was going to add a Koralia 1 for more flow along with the Nano, will this be enough or should I bump it up to the K 2?

I'm stumped as to what I should use for the new return pump. I don't think the Rio will cut it. It needs to run at about 3.5 feet of head and my overflow box can handle I believe up to 700 GPH (Is that enough?). I need a quiet, reliable return pump as the tank is in my bedroom. The pump also needs to be able to be plumbed with 3/4" PVC.

Thanks for your input!

I ran a mag drive pump in my bedroom tank, just let it sit on some prefliter material and it was very quiet. They are also well priced, sometimes you can find great deals on the pond models at home depot, only difference is the cords are way long, I just cut mine and shortened them.

Thanks, guys!

I'll probably go with a Mag3 or 5, whichever I can find cheaper.

Anyone got suggestions on what I should do about water movement?

I have found it is sometimes better to go with a bigger pump and throttle it back, than a small pump wide open.. Being able to control the flow seems to help the overflow function and sound.

I have found it is sometimes better to go with a bigger pump and throttle it back, than a small pump wide open.. Being able to control the flow seems to help the overflow function and sound.

That's like what I'm doing now with the rio. The onoly thing is it gets loud when I turn the flow down on it too much.

So what does everyone think about powerheads? Add a K1 or a K2?

Archived