Innovative Marine Aquariums

Catalina Goby?

waterat4

Hello all, went to the LFS today and saw this interesting little character, I know the tank is supposed to be a little colder than usual but all the descriptions I have found indicate it will be quiet happy up to 78-79F, has any body else put one in there nano and have you had any problems keeping it at normal temps??

2491366068_68fd62f3ba.jpg

Catalina10023Catalinagobyweb.jpg

but all the descriptions I have found indicate it will be quiet happy up to 78-79F, has any body else put one in there nano and have you had any problems keeping it at normal temps??

No way. These guys occur in water from about 60-70 degrees in the wild. On an unusually hot day in summer, in the southern part of their range, the temp might hit the low 70s, but this is a temperature they TOLERATE, not thrive in. Sticking them in water at near 80 degrees will ensure a lifespan of a few weeks/months at best.

They are a very hardy little goby if kept at the proper temperature.

More from Jay Hemdal:

Catalina gobies really should be kept below 70 degrees long-term and below 73 degrees short-term. The high temperature won't kill them outright, but after a month or two, they'll tend to fade and often time die long before they should. The people you see saying they can handle higher temperatures are the ones selling them(grin).

Here is an excerpt from my Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques book:

Catalina (bluebanded) goby

Lythrypnus dalli

Maximum size: 6.2 cm

Habitat: Rocky reef crevices

Range: Eastern Pacific, Central California south to Baja Mexico

Although frequently offered for sale in large numbers by west coast marine wholesalers, this species does not do well at warmer tropical temperatures. They really should be kept below 73 degrees. In addition, it is suspected that due to their localized range, that over-collecting for the pet trade could become a real issue in the future. Lythrypnus zebra is a related species that differs by having thinner and more numerous blue stripes. Husbandry is the same as for any other small goby species.

JHemdal

Archived