SaltCritters.com

Protein Skimmer suggestions

steely185

I'm looking for suggestions on a protein skimmer. I'm getting ready to start up a 30 gal extra high with a 10 gallon sump. I'm looking for a skimmer with quality results. All I have looked at so far has been a octopus pinwheel skimmer from the LFS.

Carlton'sTank

I like my Aqua C Urchin. You can get them used under 100, it is quiet and it pulls a ton of skimmate. If money isn't an issue then I am sure there are some higher quality set-ups around, but mine fits nice in the ten gallon sump.

the 9002 is a good choice as it does things that I havent found in other skimmers, but with the room to put something bigger like an Octo NW I dont think the tunze can compete.

the tunze 9002 is like steve's cure all pill. recommending it left and right. :P

i think there are a lot of skimmer that is a hell of a lot better than the tiny tunze and produces skimmate that the tunes cant even touch.

besides the octopus, bubble magus, euro reef, ASM all have good skimmer that would work for your system. ox5runner here have the bubble magus 100 in his 30gal tank with 15gal sump and so far its been working great for him. i would suggest you upgrade the sump to at 15 gal tho. it will be pretty cramped with the skimmer.

the tunze 9002 is like steve's cure all pill. recommending it left and right. :P

i think there are a lot of skimmer that is a hell of a lot better than the tiny tunze and produces skimmate that the tunes cant even touch.

besides the octopus, bubble magus, euro reef, ASM all have good skimmer that would work for your system. ox5runner here have the bubble magus 100 in his 30gal tank with 15gal sump and so far its been working great for him. i would suggest you upgrade the sump to at 15 gal tho. it will be pretty cramped with the skimmer.

stevie also says chemi-pure elite lol

meh, it just comes to mind, don't know why. there are plenty of other options for this type of setup. I just like the silence of the Tunze.

stevie also says chemi-pure elite lol

well duh, anything that cures cancer and makes your girlfriend hotter is OK in my book

yea the bubble magus is AWESOME for the price..it is just big and if you make a chamber big enough for it to fit in..then wont have alot of room for a fuge or return..unless you somehow fit the return pump in the skimmer chamber

you need on the 10g sump to have a chambed of 10x11.5 for it to fit correct.

Archived