ReefCleaners.org

questions on drilling a tank

jl209

Im getting a 29g pre drilled tank from my lfs. I can basically get it drilled any way I want they charge 15 bucks a hole.

How many returns u guys recommend?

Can someone give me the exact sizes of the overflow and return holes?

Whats the best way to set up an overflow?

Where on the back panel should he holes be placed?

I know its alot of questions! Advice is appreciated!

What type of coral did you plan on keeping? If you're going to have SPS, get a larger hole drilled so more water can exit the tank along with being able to use a higher powered return pump for more flow. You could do one or two returns if you wanted one on each side of the tank, but keep in mind you're obviously cutting the flow to each return a bit more than half.

It really depends on the amount of flow, where you want it and how your plumbing will be setup. Most of all it depends on personal preference. Look around at some tank builds and decide how you would like it to look and what you plan on doing with it then go from there.

Just as an example: My 40 breeder has a 1" durso drain to the sump returned by a Mag7 pump (700gph) to a 3/4" SCWD split to two 3/4" returns. I opted not to drill the returns but to go over the top of the tank but now I wish I would have drilled them.

Another thing to consider is whether you will be running powerheads or not. If you are, the sump return will not be the majority of your flow, in fact you will want relatively slow flow through your sump to allow the media (macro, phosban, whatever) to remove what it is supposed to. If you plan on having a closed loop for flow, thats a whole other can of worms.

neanderthalman

My personal preference is to drill everything, both a return and a closed loop.

I once tried to get sufficient flow through a sump to provide all of my flow, and it was a mistake. It's a better idea to separate your filtration requirements from your flow requirements.

nanoty is right - take a look at some other setups, specifically other 29g tanks, and see what you like.

Also check out SCWD's and OM squirts

My preference is to drill as few as you need. I have see to many tanks break around holes. Also when drilling keep the holes as close to the water surface as you can, since there is a lot less water pressure there and if it leaks for any reason you will not drain the whole tank.

Kim

neanderthalman
My preference is to drill as few as you need. I have see to many tanks break around holes. Also when drilling keep the holes as close to the water surface as you can, since there is a lot less water pressure there and if it leaks for any reason you will not drain the whole tank.

Kim

I'm going to have to go ahead and politely disagree with you. More holes = more chicks. True story.

On the idea of less water pressure - it's a good idea at first, but pressure isn't what breaks glass. It's the flexing of the glass. Despite the water pressure being lowest at the water surface, it's also not as well braced as along the bottom of the tank, and so it flexes more. Your best bet is to scatter the holes throughout the glass, and do what you can to not have three or more holes line up in a straight line.

Archived