Cultivated Reef

For those of you who use protein skimmers

dduncan

No offense to those of you who don't but really want some feedback on members who actually have one. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see it anywhere.

I want to know if you leave it on 24/7, part of the day, a couple of hours a week and why. I personally have 2 tanks upstairs in my master bedroom and the skimmers are so noisy I turn them off at night and run them during the day. After I turn them off I feed my corals and stuff and feel they get a chance to use more nutrients before skimmer comes on in the morning.

I just don't know if I'm causing more harm than good or whatever. The skimmers are new and from what I've read are in a break-in period. I haven't noticed much gunk so am not even sure they are adjusted right. Trying to tweak a little here and there. One is a bak-pak 2reef and the other is an aqua euro.

Anyway, how do you manage your skimmer and why....please

Donna

24/7/365. Noise not a problem because I Keep it not where I sleep. Also when I inclose the sump area should damped the noise level.

You are going to have a hard time adjusting it because skimmers take some time to get going at their proper pace.

My advice: If you can, let your skimmers run for a couple of days. Tweaking as you go. Then when you found the sweet spot, you may try turning it off at night. Might work.

I run the biggest, most powerful skimmer I can fit inside my sump 24/7 (except for when I feed my corals). The reason why is because I have about 4x's the recommended bioload for a 40g tank.

Archived