Innovative Marine Aquariums

Skimmer Selection Help

matthewdmueller

matthewdmueller

So I'm in the market for a new skimmer. I plan on setting up a 20gal within the next couple of months and I have run into quite the delema picking a skimmer. I'm not using a sump or fuge.

I have two conditions for my new skimmer:

Hang on Back (HOB)

No pump in the display

So far I have only seen three skimmers that fullfill these requirements and they all have poor to mixed reviews

Rio Nano

Red Sea Prizm

ViaAqua Multi Skimmer

I'm not afraid of a challenge but I would like something simple that doesn't require modifications like my seaclone skimmer did (yes I know I'm a sucker).

I have also looked at the Tunze 9002 but I think it would take up to much room in a 20gal.

Does anyone know of another skimmer that might fit my application?

I have two conditions for my new skimmer:

Hang on Back (HOB)

No pump in the display

I would recommend you look at:

CoralVue Octopus HOB skimmers, several models with outside pumps

Warner Marine H1 or H2

Deltec HOB at the top end

Although I would spend the money on setting up a sump refugium first, but that's just me.

matthewdmueller

Any opinions on any of these skimmers? It took me a little while to ind the octopus, the first one that I saw was the one with the pump in the display. Also what kind of prices have people been seeing on the Deltec HOB. The Warrner is a little out of my price range. It is just a 20gallon and I think the Warner is a bit rich. Has any one DIY one of these skimmers?

Thanks

matthewdmueller

The deltec is a bit out of my range as well. Granted it would be good for up to a 190gal for a 20 I think its a little excessive. Sounds like a good skimmer though, lots of good reviews I see. Anyone have an opinion of the CoralVue?

Octpus and coralvue seem to be one and the same? ssirishpride and I are both are running the octopus BH-1000. The pump is outside the tank and it is relatively inexpensive. It's early still, but we're both happy so far. I may do the mesh mod to mine later on. Here is a link - http://reefwarehouse.com/octopus-coralvue-...mer-p-3334.html - this place offers free shipping over $165.

CoralVue is the company, Octopus is the line of sump and HOB skimmers they make. I don't have any direct experience with BH-1000 but it's supposed to be pretty good - there are some long threads on reefcentral about people's experiences with it and other Octo hobs:

here

I like the BH-1000 more everyday. For one thing the cup is a lot bigger than my previous one so it is not a constant chore. I like to futz around with mine a lot so if I wanted a "wet" skim on my old one it filled up repeatedly, not anymore. My skimmate is a light coffee color and the micro bubbles are almost all but gone. I love the overflow/surface skimmer idea.

Archived