Top Shelf Aquatics

koralia (nano or 1) or maxi jet?

louie101086

I am totally new to nano reefs but after seeing one the other day at a LFS I must have one. I am new to salt tanks but no stranger to research. Everywhere I have looked for info on which is better a powerhead or koralia most people just post what they use. I am currently stuck choosing between the 3 any comments or advice would be great. I also want to hear from someone who has used both and to tell me which he or she prefers and why.

:welcome:

I would think a pair of koralia nanos would do well in your tank. One on each opposite side. Only one powerhead may not fill all dead spots. The koralia is far ahead of any pump like the maxi jet since it is random flow and not a jet of water.

I would think a pair of koralia nanos would do well in your tank. One on each opposite side. Only one powerhead may not fill all dead spots. The koralia is far ahead of any pump like the maxi jet since it is random flow and not a jet of water.

Can't afford 2 koralias yet that's why I was considering the koralia #1

Well, it's not random.

I know what you mean as far as cash goes,

I have a 29 gallon biocube and was recommended to me

just to use one korlia 1, i suppose two nano's would be ideal however.

As far as pumps its been recommended to get a rio pump,

Last night my friends older maxi-jet S**t out on him,

with no explanation as to why, IMO the rio is the better bet

However im speaking as far as a 29 gallon goes, not experienced enough yet to know if the 10g and 29g would have drastic hardware reqs

Well I just found nano for $17 will also check ebay and if I buy 2 where do I place them do I put them on the sides facin each other or one on the back and other on side

Well, it's not random.

Its also not a strong directed jet. Koralias probably simulate reef conditions better in the sense that you get a broad flow is put about the corals, rather than a concentrated force. :)

Go with the koralias, amazing powerheads.

Its also not a strong directed jet. Koralias probably simulate reef conditions better in the sense that you get a broad flow is put about the corals, rather than a concentrated force. :)

Go with the koralias, amazing powerheads.

I also think the Koralias are more positionable, they have a ball joint, a more secure suction/magnet mount and they're much easier to reposition. The first time you have a maxi jet fall into the substrate and sandblast your tank you'll thank me.

do u all think that maybe i could get away wit 1 koralia #1 on the back of the tank near the corner facing the front of the tank in an angle because 2 nanos are just not in my budget and i think the koralia 1 will be fime but wanted to get suggestions since i never used a koralia or had a reef tank

I would look into budgeting for another pump in the future, but for now during a set up yes you can just have the one. Make sure you get another pump before stocking with corals the demand flow

i origionally had 1 #1 in a 10 and it was good for low flow, it would push all the way to the far ball but it wouldnt get back, there was a lot of settling of detrius in the center of the tank. you need 2 regardless. my frog spawn wasnt happy with a single #1 in the tank and they are a low flow coral.

i wasnt impressed with my nano's. they couldnt even push from 1 side of a 10 to the other. the hydor pumps dont have much of a vaccume effect to them like the maxi's so theres quite a dead spot around the back and sides of the pumps.

use 2 nanos or a nano and a 1. all of my koralia pumps came fron mtdewman on ebay, super cheap if you dont mind waiting a little long for the shipping. seems it always took a week 10 12 days to get them.you can pay more and get them from the doctors in 2-3 days or really pay and get them same day from your lfs. if you use a maxi make sure you mod it with a propeller.

I would start with a #1 and add a nano or another #1 later if money is tight. I have a #2 in my 10 gallon and it generates a lot of flow. I had to position it in the lower right side of the tank and aim it at the top left side of the tank.

I have a nano in my 10g with a HOB filter. between the 2 i feel like i have pretty good flow. I tried two nanos in the tank with a filter and it seemed like way too much. It also depends what you plan on keeping in the tank.

I am totally new to nano reefs but after seeing one the other day at a LFS I must have one. I am new to salt tanks but no stranger to research. Everywhere I have looked for info on which is better a powerhead or koralia most people just post what they use. I am currently stuck choosing between the 3 any comments or advice would be great. I also want to hear from someone who has used both and to tell me which he or she prefers and why.

You could always get an AC 70 or 110 and mod it into a fuge, then get a Koralia Nano, then you get the flow you need + a mini fuge. Thats what I did with my 5.5g and I have no dead spots or hair algae. Since a 10g is obviously bigger than a 5.5g, you would probably need a Koralia 1 or 2 though instead of the Nano version.

i just bought 2 koralia nanos for $17 each on an online petstore. Shipping was incredibly fast too, a bit expensive but there's a coupon code to save a couple of bucks. Don't think I can post the link, but just google koralia nano in shopping and it will pop up.

bad news and good news. bad news is i seen a green madarin goby good news is now i wanna upgrade the tank to a 20 gallon to get one should i get a koralia 1 or koralia 2 right now i can only afford one may get another later down the road and the tank i want now is a 20g high

gulfsurfer101

Not reading through most of what others have wrote but more of having them both in my tank before I would say use a K-nano and try to get it used but in good condtion. I picked mine up brandnew in box for ten bucks on the classifieds here. It worked well for my AP12 and when I upgraded back to my AP24 I used it for surface agitaion in my tank along with my MJ1200 placed about midway facing inot my rocks to add flow through my rockwork so it was a little more dipseresed.

Not to be an ass, but if you can't afford an extra nano, would you mind sharing what your budget is? LR, Coral and fish will wash out the cost of the nano....

I have a MJ1200 and a K1 in my BC29. I am thinking of adding another K?. Maybe another 1 or a 2. Undecided atm.

gulfsurfer101
Not to be an ass, but if you can't afford an extra nano, would you mind sharing what your budget is? LR, Coral and fish will wash out the cost of the nano....

I have a MJ1200 and a K1 in my BC29. I am thinking of adding another K?. Maybe another 1 or a 2. Undecided atm.

This is nonsense, check ebay, craigslist, and classifieds here. There are always people getting out of the hobby or just getting rid of stuff for mre room. I'm currently overstocked with LR atm and either need to get a frag tanks cycled in or just get rid of some rock cheap which is a more realistic option for me.

This is nonsense, check ebay, craigslist, and classifieds here. There are always people getting out of the hobby or just getting rid of stuff for mre room. I'm currently overstocked with LR atm and either need to get a frag tanks cycled in or just get rid of some rock cheap which is a more realistic option for me.

Good deals can be had yes. My only point was that is a K-Nano is breaking the budget you *may* be under budgeting. That's it. Sounds like you have some free LR to send him, so that will help.

Archived