Innovative Marine Aquariums

1st coral questions

bneyman

Well, I broke down AGAIN and bought my 1st coral yesterday, a green hairy mushroom (my LFS doesn't have s*** for corals!). It is one large ~3" diameter, and one smaller ~1 1/2" along with a small featherduster HH attached to a small rock. The smaller one was all shriveled up in the tank at the LFS, but when I took them home and put them in my tank, they both opened up very nicely, look great!:P How and what should they be fed, if anything, and how often? Are they rapid growers? ???

I don't worry about the feather dusters they will eat what ever thrown around by the hermits and the shrimp. the hairy shrooms you should hand feed with some long tweezerz once a week with a piece of fish or shrimp (frozen mysis is good food )

Originally posted by mattie

I don't worry about the feather dusters they will eat what ever thrown around by the hermits and the shrimp. the hairy shrooms you should hand feed with some long tweezerz once a week with a piece of fish or shrimp (frozen mysis is good food )

Thanks for the suggestions, I feed my fish mysis 1-2 a week for a treat anyways, so I'll just start hand feeding the shrooms the same time. Do I just place the shrimp anywhere on the tentacles, or try to get it as close to the "mouth" as possible?

???

if it sticks to the tenticals good enough:) but try near the mouth so that way someone else in the tank doesn't have alot of time to come running and say gimme dat food punk:rant:

another 2 bits is hairy shrooms don't like strong currents so avoid placing him in direct flow

Originally posted by mattie

if it sticks to the tenticals good enough:) but try near the mouth so that way someone else in the tank doesn't have alot of time to come running and say gimme dat food punk:rant:

another 2 bits is hairy shrooms don't like strong currents so avoid placing him in direct flow

:ermm: Well, I can sure see my pig of a hawkfish going over and snatching the food from them! He'll even snatch food right out of my clown's mouth! X) I've got to find a home for that PITA! :ermm:

As far as for the current issue goes, I found that out after I first placed him in the tank, the larger one was open, but not very much, the smaller one totally closed, I didn't like the location (not because of the current), and moved him, as soon as I did, they both opened up very large and full. Thhey didn't like the turkey baster either, was blowing some sand off LR, and they closed up real quickly, took them while to open back up!:o

Archived