SaltCritters.com

EcoTech VorTech WaveMaker

geekreef_05

Besides the sweet look of (closer to) natural water movement the one reason I would switch to this pump is the possibility ability to keep a larger variety of corals in closer proximity to each other and to the pumps.

So given the pump's pulse setting, do you think I could keep.. say an open brain coral in relatively close vascinity to the pump itself? With maybe a Monti Cap a couple inches beside it?

Anthony Calfo often said "You can never have enough water movement - only the wrong kind of water movement" ...well I suppose I want some experiences to confirm that observation.

Thoughts? And for the people who've been using this device for a while... have you seen any improvement in polyp extension or coral growth?

First off get the MP40 unless you never ever even think about buying a larger tank than 20 gallons. Then you can purchase the 20 version.

Secondly. I'm not sure about wave action improving much. More about the random flow that keeps particles suspended in the water column, and with a wave setting, keep water moving randomly instead of a constant blast from say a Koralia. And again, the flows ability to reach almost everywhere in a tank.

I think the main appeal of these water pumps is the low profile in the tank, no power cord running in the tank. Not to mention no heat transfer. And how quite they can be if set up correctly. Plus the multiple wave settings you can do.

Let me put it this in perspective. I have 1 MP40W set to max on Reef Crest mode with a nicely timed night mode programmed. All in a 125 gallon (6 feet long) tank. I find just having 1 pump is ideal for me because I want to keep all sorts of corals from softies, lps, sps, and others. With this one pump I can have the tank layout that I want.

I have to admit though if I did not have a pretty sweet spray bar setup I most likely would need 2 Vortechs to get the flow I want because of the length of the tank.

I run a 12 hour light cycle have yet to have cyano or diatoms grow anywhere in the tank (sign of low flow areas)

My advice, if it is still going on get in on StanD's group buy and save some green backs.

thanks Rocket, that really helps. This will be for a 33L mixed reef (4' long) so Im leaning towards the 20w model.

In all honesty, I have this great spot for an open brain on my sandbed, but it'll be about 5 inches from the pump... Im hoping that I could actually keep an LPS coral in that proximity. Then about 2 inches up on the rock from that is a blue acro... still about 5" from the pump...think it'll work?

This will revolutionize my coral placement and aquascaping if it works like this...

(I guess this thread was suppose to be more about versatile coral placement with the Vortech).

First off get the MP40 unless you never ever even think about buying a larger tank than 20 gallons. Then you can purchase the 20 version.

uh wut?

The MP20 can put out up to 2,000 gph, that's nothing to scoff at. I had 2 Tunze NanoStream 6045's that ran my SPS only 75 gallon tank for it's duration and they were only 2,000gph a piece.

You can also upgrade the MP20 to an MP40 with the wireless capability if need be.

uh wut?

The MP20 can put out up to 2,000 gph, that's nothing to scoff at. I had 2 Tunze NanoStream 6045's that ran my SPS only 75 gallon tank for it's duration and they were only 2,000gph a piece.

You can also upgrade the MP20 to an MP40 with the wireless capability if need be.

Plus the Tunzes' are lot less money, you can really save some green backs! ;)

Plus the Tunzes' are lot less money, you can really save some green backs! ;)

Yes, but they can't be turned into a wavemaker with the touch of a button, can they? ;)

I have the MP40W running on my 40br. I have it set to reef crest mode. It def moves some water. I played with the pulse mode alittle bit, but you got be careful with that and the waves it produces.

TriggerHappyDude

I bought one, not much help here, as I haven't set it up, but I've ready many a great stories and even check them out on YouTube, where there a lots of great vids showing you the waves and movement.

I'm excited to set mine up...no buyers remorse from me. (yet...)

ok, i put one on order today. $320 at the LFS.. not bad. Hopefully I can pick it up next weekend.

Can someone describe reef crest mode for me? If pulse mode = waves, then reef crest = ?

Im still eager to hear more reviews though...

ok, i put one on order today. $320 at the LFS.. not bad. Hopefully I can pick it up next weekend.

Can someone describe reef crest mode for me? If pulse mode = waves, then reef crest = ?

Im still eager to hear more reviews though...

320.00 for which one???

Reef crest mode is nice... You can set the max output, and then it is very random flow up to the max you set! I switch between pulse mode, and reef crest every few days!

Reef crest mode is what most of us Vortech users set the pump at.

Reef Crest mode: You set the dial on the constant flow setting. Then switch the button to reef crest and forget about it. What it does is vary the flow rate from low to high to low again. It does this fairly rapidly. And its not a constant low to high. The controller varies everything in between but it will never flow faster than what you set its max at. It is my favorite setting.

You guys are killin me with the talk of how great these pumps are. I must have spent close to $200.00 on maxi-jets and koralias, when I should have just got one of these bad boys for 295.00.

If anyone only knew the amount of money I've spent on mods for my red sea max they might shoot me and take me out of my misery. Now I'm going to spend another 295.00 because of how great these pumps are, I have to get out of this hobby before I mortgage my home to buy more things for my aquarium lmao.

StanD group buy. Get in on it. Can get a mp40w for 360 (I think was last quote)

And sell your Koralia's. I kept a K3 for salt mixing, works great for that.

Wow, I had I always wondered why people would spend so much money on a vortech, thinking the external electrical part was the main attraction. I just watched a bunch of the youtube videos - very impressive! I love the Gyre Tank.

So do people normally just run a single vortech, and no other powerheads?

I don't like the oscillating wave tanks - it would drive me crazy. Has anyone seen any videos of a long tank like a 33L with a slanting sand beach and a vortech on the other end - can the vortech create a moving wave that laps against the sand rather than reflecting of the far glass?

ya, i know what you mean, i upgraded to K's last year and the year before that i bought max-jet mod kits for a couple MJ's... brutal waste of money.

About reef crest mode: To me it sounds like that setting would be brutal for say... a ricordia to be close to the pump. true? I thought most people were using the pulse modes. ???

Wow, I had I always wondered why people would spend so much money on a vortech, thinking the external electrical part was the main attraction. I just watched a bunch of the youtube videos - very impressive! I love the Gyre Tank.

So do people normally just run a single vortech, and no other powerheads?

I don't like the oscillating wave tanks - it would drive me crazy. Has anyone seen any videos of a long tank like a 33L with a slanting sand beach and a vortech on the other end - can the vortech create a moving wave that laps against the sand rather than reflecting of the far glass?

I'll take a vid when mine comes in.. since this will be in my 33L. I was planning to remove all but one other pump in the tank - my hydor K... so I'll have that at one end and the vortech on the other end.

Archived