Coral Vue Hydros

Closed loop plumbing ideas...

nanoty

If any of you have been through my absurdly long build thread you know that I originally planned on running a CL on my 40 breeder. After struggling with the plumbing and being harrased by fellow NRs to hurry the hell up I ditched it in favor of 2 Tunze powerheads.

Although I like the 6025s I still don't like the powerheads in my display. The final blow was this week when my new BTA was sucked into one of the PHs and died.

I've since decided to redo the CL and do away with the PHs. I am trying to design the most efficient CL possible making it quiet and aesthetically pleasing. The back of the tank is already drilled and fitted with a 1" bulkhead and screen and is ready to be hooked up, all I need is a pump and the return plumbing.

Here is how it was supposed to be originally:

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

I liked the way it was minus a few problems. It was originally a QO6000 to a 1" SCWD spit to two 3/4" lines which again split into two returns each. I worry if I try to go back the same way having dual 3/4" returns after a 1" intake might cause cavitation.

I think I am going to try the 1" SCWD again simply because I cannot afford an OM Squirt. Things that I would like advice on are the pump and size and configuration of the return lines. Thanks

VAGINA

only if it's sandy!

im not much of an expert on closed loop systems, but have been trying to think of one for my own tank aswell.

Yours looks pretty good. have you tried running it with just ro water? see how it functions?

with no sand, rockwork or anything else. trial & error can be had to find your "best fit"

*edit*

i may be blind but i dont see any valves in this set-up. I have read that a valve or two is needed incase your pump decides to go south

Looks a lot like mine...

I run a Q3000 through 1/2" thin wall through a modded SCWD. It was a lot cheaper than an OM and I get good water motion.

only if it's sandy!

im not much of an expert on closed loop systems, but have been trying to think of one for my own tank aswell.

Yours looks pretty good. have you tried running it with just ro water? see how it functions?

with no sand, rockwork or anything else. trial & error can be had to find your "best fit"

*edit*

i may be blind but i dont see any valves in this set-up. I have read that a valve or two is needed incase your pump decides to go south

The tank has been running for 7 months without a CL since I decided against it. The way it was setup (and still is) is there is a valve at the intake allowing me to pump the rest of the CL water into the tank and there are unions allowing me to take it apart.

Looks a lot like mine...

I run a Q3000 through 1/2" thin wall through a modded SCWD. It was a lot cheaper than an OM and I get good water motion.

Do you have a pic of yours Fosi? Do you have single outputs on each side of the SCWD? I am really wanting to do duals like in the picture but I may have to neck down to 1/2" instead of 3/4"

neanderthalman

I :wub: my OM squirt.

Given you want to use your SCWD and do this on the cheap, I'm quite partial to your original setup. I'd replace the 90's with 45's if possible to reduce issues at corners, but reducing to 3/4" shouldn't be an issue - just don't reduce it to 3/4" then bring it back to 1". You can get loads of cavitation and noise at the resulting vena contracta immediately following the increase in pipe diameter. Once you're down to 3/4", keep it there. Consider a DIY eductor nozzle on your outputs to broaden your flow.

If I had to redo my closed loop, the only changes I'd make would be to go even bigger. OM 8-way, with four bulkheads in the back wall, two bulkheads up from the bottom, in the front corners, and two nozzles coming up to the front top corners. Add in some OM revolutions for the front corners, and you have the greatest closed loop ever.......

....anyone have a towel?

Do you have a pic of yours Fosi? Do you have single outputs on each side of the SCWD? I am really wanting to do duals like in the picture but I may have to neck down to 1/2" instead of 3/4"

And here are a couple pics, albeit they are on the 10g that I cracked. Ignore the durso and the Mag5, it is actually powered by a Q3000 and it is soft plumbed between the pump and the in/outputs.

100_5751.lables.jpg

100_5757.jpg

100_5761.labels.jpg

Then here it is, modded for the 20H it is on now.

100_5942.p.jpg

If you want to see more pics of what it looks like in-tank, check out my 20H thread.

Archived