Coral Vue Hydros

Float Switches

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I'm planning on setting up an ATO and Doser via a ReefKeeper Elite and I need to pruchase some float switches...but I'm wondering which ones to purchase...I found the two choices I like at AquaHub.com

The iFloat - for normal use.

Or the Madison with Slosh Guard - for sloshy water.

Question I have, is will my Solana with the MP40w be worthy of the "slosh guard" or just the normal iFloats?

Here is an example of the water movement in a Solana with the MP40w, can you help m decide which floats to get based on this movement?

Lastly, which holders do I need?

9"

http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder9.html

18"

http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder18.html

Can these be painted black to match the back of my tank?

If there are better float switches I'm open to suggestions.

I'd go with the iFloat switch. That's the standard one that comes in the kits, it's inexpensive and works very well! Just be sure to slip a "1/2 size tubing over the top of it to prevent water from getting into the electrical part of it, and it'll serve you well for many years.

TriggerHappyDude

I don't plan on getting the kit, I was told I just needed the floats, and a pump, the ReefKeeper and Switch Kit will do the rest. So why not get the other floats that have the slosh guard already? A few dollars more?

Actually the real question is, will the water be sloshing around back in the back chambers of the Solana?

I don't think so, it goes through each chamber in a series and is not part of the display that will have all the movement, so probably just the iFloats like you said, will work.

You shouldn't really have a sloshing issue in the back of the tank. I have a float in the back of my tank and have no issues. To me, the guard is more if it's in the display and to keep animals away from it.

TriggerHappyDude

I really don't care for the fasteners that the iFloats come with, or at least wished they were a different color. I like autotopoff.com's fasteners better, but their floats seem bulky. Who else makes them?

I'm just needing some simple float switches, to work with an ReefKeeper Elite and pump, for an ATO.

I'm not really understanding how the float switches work in this combo, how they are powered, how they talk to the RKE, and so on and so forth?

You don't need anything fancy, I'd go with the iFloats still. If they are going to be in the back of your tank, the color of them shouldn't really matter as almost no one will see them.

TriggerHappyDude

Do you know if all I need to purchase are the iFloats themselves and a pump and some tubing to run the water? What about "reverse siphon", how do I avoid that?

Do you know if all I need to purchase are the iFloats themselves and a pump and some tubing to run the water? What about "reverse siphon", how do I avoid that?

Reverse siphon is simple, just make sure the end of the top-off hose to the tank is ABOVE the desired water line, and then reverse siphoning won't occur.

As for the RKE and float switches, I'm not sure. You should email the makers of the ReefKeeper about that.

TriggerHappyDude

That is simple, I was over thinking it I guess, when I read the term and saw someone was trying to avoid it, I thought it was something that happened a lot?

I really don't care for the fasteners that the iFloats come with, or at least wished they were a different color. I like autotopoff.com's fasteners better, but their floats seem bulky. Who else makes them?

I'm just needing some simple float switches, to work with an ReefKeeper Elite and pump, for an ATO.

I'm not really understanding how the float switches work in this combo, how they are powered, how they talk to the RKE, and so on and so forth?

when you get you reefkeeper in you'll have a better idea of how it will all work. basically. theres 2 wires on each switch. a send and a return. the RK will send out a small voltage down the send line. when the switch is on (closed) it will see the voltage coming back on the return line. you will program this input to control one of the outlets on the PC4, which your top off pump will be connected to. so when it sees the switch on (water level low) it will send power to the outlet to turn the pump on. when the water level gets to the height you want it, it will turn off (open) the switch. the RK dosnt see return voltage and shuts off the pump.

the second switch will probbaly be an alarm input. it'll probably only be used if the first floats switch sticks on (closed). so if the pump somehow stays on cuz the first stitch failed and gets to the level of the second switch. it will trigger an alarm and shut off the outlet.

hope this helps. like i said, when you get your RK, it will make more sense.

TriggerHappyDude

Yes it does, thanks Qwank. I'm struggling with my decision to order the Elite, even though I know I can upgrade later, I just feel all the stuff it can do for me now is what I want. But pulling the trigger after I've already spend lots of cash, its hard. I will do this soon, I hope.

TriggerHappyDude
You don't need anything fancy, I'd go with the iFloats still. If they are going to be in the back of your tank, the color of them shouldn't really matter as almost no one will see them.

Phixion, are the iFloats that much better than the Autotopoff ones?

I like the construction of the Autotopoff.com ones and the PVC protecting the switch etc...the mold-a-holder with the iFloats is a little cheap to me, but they are cheaper over all...I just like the holder and float switches better with autotopoff.com...

ATO.com is $29

Aquahub.com is $18

I'm confused a bit though, if I'm hooking this up for an ATO with a RKE, do I need this entire kit with power?

http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Or just two float switches and a holder like these?

The Upper: http://www.autotopoff.com/MISC/float_upper.jpg

The Lower: http://www.autotopoff.com/MISC/float_lower.jpg

The Holder: http://www.autotopoff.com/MISC/mount.jpg

Well the ATO.com ones you're paying more for the added PVC and a more complete switch I think. That there I'd say is a personal call on which to get. I'm sure each is equally as good, one just needs more prep than the other. But email Digital Aquatics to see exactly what all is needed for the setup. I'd imagine only the switches, but again I don't have an RK to know for sure. I have an ACjr myself and mine lacks the ATO function unfortunately.

TriggerHappyDude
Well the ATO.com ones you're paying more for the added PVC and a more complete switch I think. That there I'd say is a personal call on which to get. I'm sure each is equally as good, one just needs more prep than the other. But email Digital Aquatics to see exactly what all is needed for the setup. I'd imagine only the switches, but again I don't have an RK to know for sure. I have an ACjr myself and mine lacks the ATO function unfortunately.

I did post on their forum, and they don't endorse a particular brand, say both are good. You are right the ATO.com are more a complete switch, and better made, I'm going with them. I found where I can order just the switch/floats/holder all for about $20 -$30, so not bad, for a double sensor. Thanks for the input.

I did post on their forum, and they don't endorse a particular brand, say both are good. You are right the ATO.com are more a complete switch, and better made, I'm going with them. I found where I can order just the switch/floats/holder all for about $20 -$30, so not bad, for a double sensor. Thanks for the input.

No problem, glad you could find a complete double set as well as going the right way and getting a whole controller that will function as an ATO too. ;)

TriggerHappyDude

Well, I actually haven't purchased the RKE yet...I just bought these ATI lights, so I need to get some more cash from the tax refund, then the RKE comes to pappa!

Do you think I need the "snail guards" for my ATO sensors/float switches?

I think phixion has given you a lot of great information. On the slosh guards.. I like them. Even though you are not getting sloshing around in the back chambers they serve an additional purpose of keep large particles from jamming the switch. I've never had a snail get on it but I did have a piece of chaeto lodge in my Aquahub switch that didn't have a guard on. I'm a firm believer in the MS8000's now because of that incident. In my case I was lucky and the float jammed in the up position so it just didn't put in any water. If it had jammed in the down position.... Well you get the story. I am now painting the MS8000 with black Krylon Fusion to keep algae from growing inside of it. The only drawback is that it is a little more work to clean, but it is very easy to take apart. I use zipties to secure the entire float and slosh to a peice of acrylic.

Steve

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks Steve. So algae grows on the white parts? Are you painting your holders too? Thats the one thing I didn't like about the Aquahub stuff, the do it yourself bend-em yourself holders...seemed cheap, and weren't black. Whats the deal with that type of paint? Water safe?

Well the slosh guard on the MS8000's is actually semi clear so light can get to the inside of it and yes algae and stuff grows on it and attaches to the float. Krylon Fusion is understood to be reefsafe by most of us here on NR. I don't use the holders from Aquahub and normally make mine as needed with 1/4 Black acrylic. You can heat and bend it pretty easily with a heat gun to any desired shape. Hope this helps.

Steve

TriggerHappyDude
Well the slosh guard on the MS8000's is actually semi clear so light can get to the inside of it and yes algae and stuff grows on it and attaches to the float. Krylon Fusion is understood to be reefsafe by most of us here on NR. I don't use the holders from Aquahub and normally make mine as needed with 1/4 Black acrylic. You can heat and bend it pretty easily with a heat gun to any desired shape. Hope this helps.

Steve

Yeah, I'll probably just buy the autotopoff.com stuff, it looks better made and I think they use Madison 8000's as well...guess I'll get a snail guard too. I guess the Tubing size depends on the pump?

Thanks for the tid bits of info.

Archived