SaltCritters.com

LED controllers - dimmers / timers

Waterproof

I looked for a chip upgrage and I couldn't find anything.

Your good sir, your good

SD card may still be a good idea for data loging if not done through the Ethernet.

Or easy upgrading for a production model :D :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I so want to do this but I feel like it is yet another thing that has a steep learning curve. :(

That usually wouldn't put me off but with everything else I am juggling, I don't know if I can fit it in. I don't have much in the way of programming experience unless you stretch the definition to include HTML, SAS (a statistic package) or a little MatLab.

I so want to do this but I feel like it is yet another thing that has a steep learning curve. :(

That usually wouldn't put me off but with everything else I am juggling, I don't know if I can fit it in. I don't have much in the way of programming experience unless you stretch the definition to include HTML, SAS (a statistic package) or a little MatLab.

DOOOOOEEEEEt

Vancouver Reefer

Futurelec is good for things but be prepared for a wait! They ship from Asia and it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive!!! just so you know!

Wow... this looks awesome! I haven't done any programming for like 7 or 8 years, but this could be really neat. Is there a way to test adruino code without actually loading it onto the adruino memory?

Vancouver Reefer

Nope. You can compile it in the software to check for any bugs but you can only test your program with the arduino and then your ancillires connected to it. It would be nice though to have some kind of simulator where you can drap and drop components onto it and then simulate it! Ill give them a shout to see if they have something like this in the making. Watch this space

VR

Cool... will do. I still think I might order one to start tinkering. I haven't done any programming in a while and I think this might be something my brother in law and I might be able to work on together to at least get something simple put together. Any suggestions on where to start with this? In particular I need to know what I should buy if I just want to simply set a timer for my 2 T5 lightstrips and maybe something else that would be simple to do.. If course this is just in preparation for when I'm able to make an LED array.

Vancouver Reefer

OK here you go to get you started:

Arduino http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=666

RTC board http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_DS1307.shtml

There are tonnes of code and examples out there at www.arduino.cc for both the RTC and arduino.

Also the tutorials here will help you get started:

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/starterpack.html

Hope this helps,

VR

If I wanted to add an LCD, which one do you think would work best? I liked some of the white on black LCD's on sparkfun.

Another cool function that I would like to implement is a "feeding mode" which would either turn off, or run at 50% power all my pumps and protein skimmer. This would be easy, right?

just ordered my RTC and 5 thermistors for temp sensing "they where $.35 each i figured why not"

I have used the thermistors before sealed in a piece of aquarium tubing for temp sensing.

any other idea's for maybe coating these Thermistor.jpgwith something to seal them?

If I wanted to add an LCD, which one do you think would work best? I liked some of the white on black LCD's on sparkfun.

Another cool function that I would like to implement is a "feeding mode" which would either turn off, or run at 50% power all my pumps and protein skimmer. This would be easy, right?

128 x 64 BLUE128X64LCD_150.jpg $20

lcd_shield.jpg $20 direct mount to the arduino and has input buttons all while using 1 channel

Vancouver Reefer

The lcd i got was also from Futurelec and is a 4x16 white on blue. Its great and i use it in 4 bit mode so it only takes up 6 digital i/o pins. The other option would be to use a serial LCD.

Turning on and off pumps for feeding mode would be very easy. Im incorporating one into my design but it will be a timer on a button, so i can feed whenever i like and give me the flexibilty. Im going to do my feeding off a 555 timer,RC circuit and a relay to save pins and memory on the arduino.

cdelicath: Keep me posted on your screen, button interface project. Im looking at being able to use multiple screen pages and use the buttons to enter options on the screen etc on a later project. Let me know if your doing something similar and how you get on with it.

I'm hoping the board works well and that I can do all my real time input from it.

any idea where to get rubber key mats and face plates? Maybe I will just dissect an old cellphone. :P

Im incorporating one into my design but it will be a timer on a button, so i can feed whenever i like and give me the flexibilty.

I was thinking the same thing. I can push a button and enter a "feeding mode" for 5 minutes or whatever.

cdelicath, thanks for the LCD links. Even if my controller won't be doing anything for a while I've got to have an LCD to maintain a coolnes factor... Btw, I have no clue where to get face plates/mounting boxes, but if I do figure something out I'll post it... Granted I haven't even ordered my crap yet, so it could still be a while.

cdelicath, if you are going to be putting together kits for a group buy for these or something down the line put me on the list! I'd love to try something like this to control my LEDs but all the different parts are giving me a headache! :D

Vancouver Reefer

I have in the making a universal and simple led sunrise/sunset controller using an LCD screen for easy setting.

It will have connections on the back to just plug in whites and actinics so as soon as ive finished it and tested it ill let you all know.

VR

got my boards today still need the RTC and thermistors but I have plenty I can do in the meantime.

Now the bad news.... I got called back to work today :rolleyes: not bad news for my wallet but bad news for the project. I don't have all day to tinker now. But I promise to keep things moving along.

I am going to mess around getting it set up and I will get some pic's up tonight or tommorow.

Ok so I got everything pluged in and loaded a test program here's the output on the LCD

3305329308_1ed676cf85.jpg?v=0

couldn't get the controller to work right off the bat with Vista so I just set it up on my laptop but i'm sure there is a workaround for this. I'm just to lazy to mess with it right now.

3305329272_be9954fd60.jpg?v=0

another issue is that the boards don't all stack together because the Ethernet plug is too tall and the pins on the bottom of the LCD are not long enough. Not a huge deal cause I can just find out what pins are used and pin it up through a breadboard, still you would think they would have thought of this.

Now i'm not sure where to start :lol:

I made a quick blog to track my progress with the unit as I go

http://delicathdesigns.com/LED/

I will still update here when I make larger progress but most working material will be on my blog.

Hey, so I think I'm really going to order some stuff tonight so it gets here on Friday (taking a vacation day!).

So here's my possible selection:

1) Arduino Duemilanove http://www.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-diecimila.html

What is the difference between Freeduino and this board above ? I'm a noob, so which is more noob friendly?

2) LCD Screen http://www.nkcelectronics.com/16x2-lcd-mod...-backli162.html

Would you recommend this one, or do you think that in the long term the one that cerith got with the buttons would be more useful? (I can always add buttons, right? but is that easy?)

3) Power adapter http://www.nkcelectronics.com/wall-adapter...9vdc-69650.html

Should I get the 9v or the 5v ?

4) RTC http://www.nkcelectronics.com/real-time-clock-module.html

Yeah... no questions about this one...

Finally, what other connections would I need to control my T5 fixtures?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one! I want to order it soon so that I can hopefully get it by Friday. Does this store NKCElectronics seem good? I mean they seem cheap, but if someone knows of a better source that might get the parts here (Michigan) faster, let me know!

Archived