Cultivated Reef

Emilio84's Aquapod 24 HQI with 10g Sump/Fuge

Emilio84

So I drilled my tank last night and installed my the glass-holes.com nano con dientes overlfow. I was really nervous at first but it all went very smoothly.

I will be painting the back of the tank tonight and cutting/mounting the baffles for my sump. Then I'll get everything plumbed together and do a leak test friday. I'll be gone over the weekend so transfer of livestock/aquascaping will have to wait till monday.

Does anyone have a link to a site that explains how to figure out the height of the baffles required for the sump? Thats my only hold up at the moment.

Nice set up. It must have taken you a little bit of time to clean all that Coralline algae off right? I really like the stand also.

Bruce

Nice set up. It must have taken you a little bit of time to clean all that Coralline algae off right? I really like the stand also.

Bruce

Hot water and vinegar does a great job on getting off. Plus.. I replaced or removed a majority of the stuff. I basically kept the stand, display tank, and sunpod.

Anyone? I'd like to get the sump finished tonight so I can plumb the tank tomorrow and hopefully test it out on friday

• 2 months later...

Its been a long long time since I've updated this but its been set up for quite some time now.

Here are some pics with my new 150w Sunpod running a 20k coralife bulb. Running bare bottom at the moment as I knew I was moving when I set it up.

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Anyone have recommendations as to how to position my koralias for the best flow pattern? I have one mounted on the back wall and one on the front side of the tank. I was thinking of moving the one in the front to the back wall as well. Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes to the sand and I'll get a FTS tomorrow morning when the lights come on again. Just today I added a purple tipped hammer, a gonipora, an orange ricordia, and a xenia rock. Oh.. and my hermit with the zoa polyps on its shell had the polyps opened up today! Lots of fun stuff!

Here are a couple pics. I've since moved back to my parent's house and added some corals. Not everything is oepned up in these pics as I came home after the lights went off and just turned them back on for pics. I'll try and get some nice pics after I do a wc this weekend.

Tank/Stand

IMG_1706.jpg

FTS (can you find the hermit shell mounted zoas?)

IMG_1709.jpg

FTS 2

IMG_1707.jpg

Frag Rack

IMG_1708.jpg

Closeup of Montipora

IMG_1702.jpg

Non Photo Gorg (ignore the shell.. took that off a second later)

IMG_1705.jpg

My CBS molted tonight! Just went downstairs for a glass of water and I peeked into my tank and saw what I thought was a dead shrimp. Fortunately it was just my CBS's molt.

The molt.. along with my CUC doing its job..

IMG_1720.jpg

My freshly molted CBS hiding out behind some rock..

IMG_1721.jpg

I think your rock work looks nice. :) I'm glad you worked out the sand thing. How's the gonipora doing? I've heard its nearly impossible to keep it healthy because of it's finicky nature.

I think your rock work looks nice. :) I'm glad you worked out the sand thing. How's the gonipora doing? I've heard its nearly impossible to keep it healthy because of it's finicky nature.

Here is a picture today of it all polyp'd out. Its a non photo gorg though so we'll see how it does. I do feed DT's Phyto and Marine Snow so we'll see how that works out. Its definitely one of my favorite pieces in the tank even if it is in the back corner of the tank.

post-41191-1250128960_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture today of it all polyp'd out. Its a non photo gorg though so we'll see how it does. I do feed DT's Phyto and Marine Snow so we'll see how that works out. Its definitely one of my favorite pieces in the tank even if it is in the back corner of the tank.

Looks pretty nice! I hope it grows, too. I'm sure the food will work for it. :)

Looks pretty nice! I hope it grows, too. I'm sure the food will work for it. :)

Yeah I don't skim and feed with some form of filter feeder food quite often so I think it will grow. The local reefer who sold it to me had it in his sump and it doubled in size since he got it. My only concern is that it might still be getting too much light and I would run the risk of having algea grow on its surface (apparently a problem for non photo gorgs) and kill it. I'm keeping a close eye on it though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is this tank still alive?

Its still running but I lost everything after the tank crashed recently. The marineland stealth heater I was pruning exploded while I was away. Lost everything but my clowns. I also basically lost interest in he tank after that.

I'm moving soon though and will take this opportunity to redo the tank. I plan on tearing it down the same way I did when I moved to my parents house. Drain it till there is just a little water over the sand and toss everything into 5g buckets.

Once I get to my new place I can put my rock and water in a bigger tub with the powerheads and heater going while I give the whole setup a once over. I know I need to replace a baffle in my sump that cracked and just generally give everything a good scrub down.

Once that's done I will scrub my rocks and landscape along with doing some daily water changes for the first week. Ned to orders a new bulb and a solid cuc as well. Once I'm satisfied the tank is stable enough and the parameters are ok I'll slowly add frags.

I'm looking forward to resurrecting the tank as it was low maintinence and fun.

• 2 months later...

Archived