Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

this should be cool right guys?

ralegen

I got a Mag 5 that pumps at 500 GPH. A CPR 300 GPH overflow. I was wondering what everyone thought of my plan here. I'm planning on using ball valves to resist the amount of flow; especially after the pipes split (while going up). This way the water can be pushed a little bit harder to the left.

Hmm.. question:

The Mag 5 should push enough water to simulate a powerhead/water current in the display tank, right?

thanks everyone.

and...? jk.. your thoughts are appreciated JL. Yeah, i know it will reduce the flow a bit.. I'm just hoping it will be enough push to give me [atleast] some push in the display.

well, here is the thing with the pump. If you run it and use a valve to control its flow you may end up buring it out. Not all pumps allow you to control their flow and by adding an external valve and controlling will make the pump burn up. I am not terribly familiar with the mag 5. I know those are used in ponds alot and my neighbor is using a mag on his pond.

regardless, just make sure the pump you do end up getting lets you control the flow externally with valves and wont burn up. Just something to look out for is all.

Yeah.. I'll ask marine depot about that. I'm swinging by there tomorrow. Plus, I bought it already. They said that it was the better one out of most. (I was about to get a QuietOne).

yah, good idea on that. Quiet One is not known for reliability. My fav pumps are Little Giant. A little giant will run forever and a day and you can adjust the water flow. But yah, check on that Mag pump to make sure. There is a good chance you can adjust it, but this is something you want to know now...not when it quits working

this is what I would do (have done in the past as well on my old 20H). Invest in a smaller pump, but quieter, like the 300gph eheim hobby pump. Then run your return through a SCWD. That 300 will get alternated between both outputs...kinda like having 600gph, but in alternate intervals. The fish and corals love it too. You'll love it too because you wont hear your pump buzzing around like those mag pumps tend to. And after all, you wont have to limit your pump's output, yet get away with a smaller pump because it is being manipulated more effectively, and it wont overflow your overflow. Kapeesh? BTW, eheim pumps decimate all. You may have not 'heard' that (because they are so quiet), but they do...I sleep next to one...my bed clock is louder. And now they just came out with 600 and 900 gph versions!! I have to go clean my shorts now...

Actually, I just bought a SCWD today! It was about $40, plus 2 "J" hangers. (i think that's what they are called.) Anyways.. thanks for that thought.. But, about my MAG, marinedepot staff told me that it is practically the same as the QuietONE pump. I just hope it's not buzzing will I sleep. Anyways, here's my new plan for the return:

I plan on installing the ball valve just in case I need to resist some flow. I discussed this with others, whether or not the 500 GPH Mag will be too much. Since the pump is shooting upwards and going through the SCWD, it's probably gonna reduce the power a bit. Follow me? Anyways.. I already have all the hardware, and we'll see how it goes.

That exactly what I just did on my 29gal. Except i used a Rio 1700, and also added a ball valve between the CS50 overflow and the sump. The reason why i did this was incase i ever need to cut water from the main tank and sump. This turned out as a benifit for me, cause if i slightly close the valve, it backs up the water in the tube up to the back part of the overflow. That gets rid of the bubles in the sump and also gets rid of all of the gurgling noise that the overflow makes as the water falls into the pipe. It took about an hour to get all built and set up. But once i got it up and running it has been great. Then I lost all control of myself and redid all my rock work. Now i want to upgrade my lights but lack the funds. So all that are willing to donate to the lighting upgrade fund please PM me and we will work out a way that can be done. jk. But that should work for your sump

Sure, how much would you like?

We should all start pitching in for one person bi-weekly. Like $1- $2 from everyone who wants to participate. Nano funding!!! think about it... lets say 30 people are involved.. one person can get like $60 !! and then 2weeks later, it'll be someone elses turn.. Hmm.. whatever

well i got bored and started thinking about it. Once it comes around to you or has gone around to everyone else you end up paying the same about as you would end up getting, i mean thats great and all. But does it really benifit. prolly not. Unless you you go into the psychology of it, You give to others, and in return you get a bunch back later on down the road. Either way i would be willing to with it. Not like im losing anything.

That's alomst exactly what I plan on doing on my 40 breeder, in the next couple of weeks. I'm running a mag 7, on a closed loop. The outputs will be as follows. One output, on the bottom, in a spray bar format. The other two outputs, will come from each side of the tnak (I plan on drilling) and will alternate, cuz of a SCWD, used as the tee. Here's the diagram I drew up, I know the returns from the sump arent drawn in, I didnt want to draw them in, and make the pic even more confusing. Here ya go.

813712-M-1.jpg

Basically, I just wanted to share my diagram w/ you all. I think that your's will work just fine indeed. Only thing you will have to take into consideration, is that the SCWD will also add resistance to the pump, and you will lose flow rate from that as well, not much though

DvS

I pump up to my tank with an Ehiem 300 gpd hobby pump. It overcomes 4 ft of head, 2 90 degree elbows and and a sudden expansion. The water coming out of the outlet in my display tank is not hardly enough to provide enough flow. Its a 15 gallon and I also have 2 60 gpd powerheads running in there.

I set my tank up sort of like this, with a Mag 7 and SCWD. anyway, I put a float switch in the overflow box and use that to shut the pump off if the water level in the main tank goes to high. this is something I just wouldn't do without...

-skeletor-

Archived