inTank Media Baskets

Will this work?

ralegen

Hey guys, I'm planning on building my sump tomorrow. What do you guys think of this? Do you see any flaws? Your suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks everyone, in advance.

BTW, this tank will be a standard 10 gallon. My display is 20 gallons.

seeing as how you are growing caulerpa in there I assume a light will be hung over that. Dont know if you have one or not...but just lettin ya know.

Other thank that, I dont see what the extra section before the pump is for

Hmm.. this diagram was a quickie. I read up a lot, memorized, and drew it. What about this? Even though this might work, does anyone have any opinions to how one "should" do it?

What about floss, and carbon!? I almost forgot about that... hmm lemme see....???

ok, hold on. It looks like you are trying to combine a refugium and a sump at the same time. I would not really do that.

So lets stay with your sump idea first.

You dont need a divider for everything is the first thing. You want a compartment the water runs into...then that flows into a new compartment where you would use that live rock or bio balls. I use live rock but whatever.

so on that compartment that the live rock is in you would cover that with a piece of acrylic that has holes in it and you would put filter floss on top of that.

then the water runs UNDER that and into the next big compartment where you could put that skimmer. Then it goes into the last compartment that has your pump.

I cant do cool fancy diagrams for you sorry, I hope that helps a bit

oh yah, I should elaborate here. You would not put sand in the sump either. See the live rock would be suspended so that water runs thru it from above then goes out underneath to the next compartment. This can easily be done with some sheets of this light fixture stuff from Home Depot. Its a huge sheet of white squares basically. Look in the lighting section, youll see what Im talking about. The name escapes me now...its 12pm

You mean 12am. but.. I know what light fixture thing you're talking about.. Yeah.. dude.. thanks for that! I couldn't think of a place to buy some, until now! Yeah, I used to work for them for like 2 years.. it's called light panels (square type, I guess). I can't believe I didn't think of that. Sweet. But anyways.. Hmm.. I guess sumps and refugiums are 2 different things.. I mean.. I know they were, but I guess I had a different idea on them.. Your 2nd to last post was a little confusing at first, but I get it now... I do a search and read up a little more.

right right, the big square type...you would just cut them to the necessary size. you could also use that as the place to attach the filter floss too as well from the entrance part of the live rock compartment. instead of the acrylic with holes cut in it. Both work, but the fixture stuff is cheap and easy to work with.

ok, i better go to sleep before I post anymore weird things...haha

JL! wake up!! jk, it's 1:40am here. Getting sleepy myself,but not yet. I'm a little confused; rather, can someone clear somethign up for me?

Sump and refuguim. two different things.. sure I got that. However, if using a refuguim wouldn't one want to setup some sort of filter for the crap that gets skimmed from the display tank. In other words, wouldn't one want to put some floss somewhere, so that the fish poop and other things get trapped for easier diposal?

Someone please help. I'm simply setting up another tank downstairs (under the display tank). I put some caulerpa for copods and to reduce some algea. (the fact that there's more water overall is nice too). This would be a refuguim right? And if i wanted a proteinskimmer, I could install one right? Whoa.. I'm too tired now. I'm going off into space. I hope I made sense. Goodnight everyone.. for now...zzz

I personally think that your first design was perfect, for a stand alone fuge anyway. I like the bubble trap, b4 the pump chamber. If ou were gonna make a stand alone fuge, I think the first one was perfect, just my opinion.

DvS

• 3 weeks later...

DvSKiN,

Thanks for your thoughts on my plans. I hope this works out. I'm gonna start making it soon. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I just want to avoid any regrets after making it. Thanks everyone in advance.

See this is where I'm confused; shouldn't there be a filter of some sort to get rid of misc. particles? (ie: floss) or do we ignore that?

I was thinking of diong the same thing but had 2 problems.

1. I didnt have a drilled overflow, so had to use gravity feed down. If the pump failed I would have had a flood, or if the level drops below the level of the outflow tube end and then the pump restarts I would have had a flood.

2. Couldnt equalise in and out water volumes properly. I gave up before adding a valve.

nightmare

if you dont put the pump at the bottom you wont have to worry. place it at the top and drill a small syphon break just below the water level on the overflow and 1 just above the water level on the return side. hope this helps :)

Archived