Top Shelf Aquatics

"live rock" sitting in static water for 3+ years still live?

angiefish

I've had some "live rock" sitting in static saltwater w/ no light for over 3+ years now. What is the procedure making this still usuable? I've seen different things posted here. Some recommend cooking it to make sure it dies completely, and then recycle it. Others say to just let it sit with a powerhead in salt water for a few days, change the water a few times, and it should good to go. Anyone have a clear answer on this one? Thanks.

In a way, you've cooked it already.

If it were me, I would move the rock into some fresh SW in a barbottom tank somewhere it'll get some light and use a powerhead to blast all the nooks and crannies to blow out loose crap. Give it a couple days and see what the nitrogen kits and pH look like, then do a 100% waterchange being sure to remove all the crap you blew off. Keep it in there another week and keep an eye on the test kits. If everything looks fine, I'd go ahead and use it.

Since it has been in the water the whole time, all the NH3 that was in there is likely already NO3 but you still want to give it a good blasting and QT it before you make a determination.

In a way, you've cooked it already.

If it were me, I would move the rock into some fresh SW in a barbottom tank somewhere it'll get some light and use a powerhead to blast all the nooks and crannies to blow out loose crap. Give it a couple days and see what the nitrogen kits and pH look like, then do a 100% waterchange being sure to remove all the crap you blew off. Keep it in there another week and keep an eye on the test kits. If everything looks fine, I'd go ahead and use it.

Since it has been in the water the whole time, all the NH3 that was in there is likely already NO3 but you still want to give it a good blasting and QT it before you make a determination.

Thanks for your feedback Mr. Fosi. I have had the rock soaking in a tub of new saltwater for 2 days now, and i tested the water and everything looks fine. think its ready to go?

Have you given it a good blasting with a powerhead as suggested? Has the water been circulating in the bucket? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about moving it over into a tank.

If you want to be really safe, you can leave it for a few more days and check the kits again. Obviously you'll want to use caution that is proportional to the value of the livestock you might be risking by adding it to an established tank.

Have you given it a good blasting with a powerhead as suggested? Has the water been circulating in the bucket? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about moving it over into a tank.

If you want to be really safe, you can leave it for a few more days and check the kits again. Obviously you'll want to use caution that is proportional to the value of the livestock you might be risking by adding it to an established tank.

thanks. yes, i have had a powerhead circulating the water in the bucket. i'll give it a few days and move it over to my tank. thanks!

Archived