Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ ATO vs. Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

Besides price, what is the difference in these two?

Can someone explain why one is called just ATO and the other is an Osmolator?

Why is the Tunze so much more, what makes it better than the JBJ?

If I plan on purchasing a Reef Keeper Light or Elite, do I need one of these?

Do both of these require a pump? If so what kind do you suggest?

Can someone explain how this would work with my Solana tank, like do the sensors go in the back where they are hidden, and sense for the water levels there? Stuff like that. What is a "doser" for, adding nutrients to the water, but do I need this stuff in the early stages?

I eventually want to get as automated as I can, similar to PodRod's setup where she's using a Tunze Osmolator and SpectraPure Litermeter 3. I guess the Osmolator is for ATO and Litermeter is for Dosing.

Both of these are super expensive, but probably worth it for automation?

The SpectraPure Litermeter description makes it sound like it an ATO and Doser in one, is it not?

I'm wondering why she bought both Tunze and SpectraPure? If this does both?

The new LiterMeter III™ is an automatic precision dosing system for the aquarium and horticulture industry. Three independent programs control one built-in pump and up to two external pumps (sold separately). Perform 2-way water changes, in addition to eliminating the manual drudgery of dosing Kalkwasser, trace elements, or topping off evaporated water. Quiet operation, auto-calibration, and virtually maintenance-free.

Calcium maintenance and alkalinity control are essential for a healthy reef tank. SpectraPure’s LiterMeter III™ eliminates the manual drudgery of dosing Kalkwasser, trace elements, or topping off evaporated water. Kalkwasser replenishment, to be most effective, should be added to your aquarium slowly and consistently to avoid precipitation of calcium carbonate. The LiterMeter III™ automatically and reliably performs this task for you.

er1c_the_reefer

osmolator is a fancy world; sounds better than infrared based ATO-a-lator. you can call the JBJ one a float switch-a-lator if you want.

anyways, the JBJ ATO is based on float switches, there's 2 of them. one detects when the water level is low and clicks on a pump. the other detects if its too high and acts as a fail safe to switch it off.

the tunze osmolator uses an IR sensor to detect low water level; it also has a fail safe float switch. in theory, its more accurate at maintaining water levels. the pump it comes with is also a special tunze pump.

i used to swear by the tunze osmolator and still do for small tanks. in my prop system, however, i swear by my kent marine float valve.

litermeter is a waste if you get it for topping off IMO. get it to dose 2 part or something.

TriggerHappyDude

Eric,

Thanks, that info helps a lot. Now more questions, whats 2 part dosing? Why is it done, etc...?

You answered my question why PodRod has both Tunze and the Litermeter, she's doing 2 part dosing so I guess when doing that, you can't have it be the ATO too?

Also, obviously you have to keep some kind of container of RO/DI water for the ATO/Osmolator, but does it have to be maintained for heat/cold etc? Or just room temp?

er1c_the_reefer

just room temp should be fine; its topping off consistently instead of in a big bolus of water so the temp change in the tank shouldn't be too dramatic.

point of 2 part dosing is to maintain calcium and alkalinity; i've never owned a litermeter, but i'm assuming it works like a medical IV infuser; it doses at a specified amount at a consistent rate. usually you calculate the amount of ca/alk used daily by your corals and dose that amount; for me, its around 30ml/day and stays pretty consistent unless i've added a ton of corals recently. reason i wouldn't use it as a top off is because my top off varies from day to day and isn't a consistent amount.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so are there "cheaper" dosers? Or those who do dose, but not with a doser, how do they do it?

And back to the original comparison of the two top offs, now that I know the differences, my guess is the better one is the IR Tunze, which is why it costs more, but is more accurate etc...? So most would suggest this one if affordable, otherwise a good "budget" one is the JBJ, even if its still $99.

Ok, so are there "cheaper" dosers? Or those who do dose, but not with a doser, how do they do it?

And back to the original comparison of the two top offs, now that I know the differences, my guess is the better one is the IR Tunze, which is why it costs more, but is more accurate etc...? So most would suggest this one if affordable, otherwise a good "budget" one is the JBJ, even if its still $99.

The Tunze ATO is better in terms of quality and accuracy. If you have the $$, I'd say your money would be well spent on one. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with the JBJ ATO, I've used one for years without any problems. The smaller the tank, the more important an accurate ATO is.

For cheap DIY dosers - I like this DIY by member glennr1978 - http://www.maast.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46953

TriggerHappyDude

Well the JBJ is $99 and the Tunze is $195, so ~ $100 more, so far I've spent some good money on top of the line gear...(check the signature), could probably squeeze in another $200. But would rather do $100.

The Tunze is IR and that more accurate, lots of peeps have them on this site...decisions, decisions!

i've had a jbj ato for about a year now and it works great. in a 34g solana, the accuracy difference would be negligible. take that extra 100 and start working on a calcium reactor for your equipment fetish (i have that fetish too)

I use the Tunze osmolator, and my water level in my sump stays constant all the time, resulting in optimal skimmer performance. I'd say my skimmer works 70% better than just adding water myself, not to mention all I have to do is fill the resevoir about every week and just forget about it. I never have to worry about my pumps running dry.

It's perfect for michigan weather, where humidity and temperature never seem to balance out. It's very easy to set-up and with tunze you know you are getting a quality product. Can also be very easily set-up for dosing as well.

My sensor's are hooked up to the side of my sump. This is also important so that you dont have any fluctuations in salinity.

Actually the Tunze no more accurate than a float-switch system like the JBJ or Aquahub. Both are equally only as accurate as the level you set them at, and that's completely operator dependant. Both will top off the tank when the water drops below the sensor or float switch levels, there's really no accuracy in that other than which one will last longer and not fail. Many people rag on the float switches for being notorious to fail, but I've never experienced one failing uet with the 2 systems I have, and those same people seem to forget that the Osmo is complately electronic and thus technically more prone to failure of electonic components. Tunze osmos CAN fail too. Just putting that all out there. ;)

er1c_the_reefer

the reason why the osmolator is more accurate is because the IR sensor can sense a drop in water level as soon as no more water is touching the sensor, which is a matter of around a 1mm drop, as opposed to a float switch which can drop upwards of 1cm depending on quality before it switches on the pump. again, negligible in most cases unless you have a pretty small tank.

just get a sump, drill a hole in it, and add a float valve. best invention evar.

the reason why the osmolator is more accurate is because the IR sensor can sense a drop in water level as soon as no more water is touching the sensor, which is a matter of around a 1mm drop, as opposed to a float switch which can drop upwards of 1cm depending on quality before it switches on the pump. again, negligible in most cases unless you have a pretty small tank.

just get a sump, drill a hole in it, and add a float valve. best invention evar.

Well that makes sense. :) But 1mm drop is so neglegable, to me anyways. Then again my ATO is on a timer (as a safeguard) and comes on 4 times a day for 5 minutes each time. So The water will almost always drop more than 1cm in that time for me, lol!!

TriggerHappyDude

Ok ok ok guys, but for my instance, with a Solana, no real sump, I just have those back 3 compartment.

I plan to take the 2 stock ATO bottles out of there and using that area as the ATO compartment.

My decision is NOW coming down to buying a Tunze Osomo or putting that $200 towards a ReefKeeper Light 3 or Elite, and buying an ATO from Aquahub or BulkReefSupply and connecting it to the RK.

I'm leaning towards the automation of the RK and all its glory, with my IT back ground I'm sure I can eventually understand what to do with it, once I get the aquarium stuff down.

So of the non-controlled ATO's at Aquahub and BulkReefSupply, which do you think I should get?

Looks like from what is being mentioned over on the DA message board, all I need to purchase are float switches and a pump and one of their switch adapter kits?

Re: Reefkeeper Lite L3 as ATO

by Digital Aquatics on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Tom,

You'll need a couple things... First, you'll need a float switch. Second, you'll need a pump setup to add the type of solution you want to top off with. Third, you'll need the switch adapter kit to interface the float switch with the RKL system. Then all that's left is to program the unit.

Scott

Digital Aquatics

The Next Generation in Aquarium Controllers

So if its thats the case, I'm going to allocate the $200 I was thinking of using for the Tunze, towards a RKL3 or Elite, and use it as my ATO as well. Brilliant! So that begs the questions...

Which are the better float switches for my situation, in the Solana tank, 3rd compartment?

http://www.aquahub.com/store/floatswitches.html

Which pump should I get for the ATO? One like this? http://www.aquahub.com/store/product31.html

What RO/DI water container is good for a small place like the Solana stand? (That can house the pump too) Etc...Etc...

RKEdefinitely over the Osmolator. I mean you'll probably want/need a controller down the line anyways, so best to get one now while you can. :) Just get the Aquahub Deluxe kit, it comes with the relay, wiring board mount for the relay and two float switches. That's the exact kit I have and it works just as good as my JBJ ATO, and works in the same fashion. The nice thing about the switches included, is that they can be reversed for opposite control. Like out of the box, it's meanto have a main control, and then a backup mounted slightly higher. In my setup, I have the main control, and the other switch in my ATO water bucket reversed to that when the water is below the switch, the pump won't be allowed to turn on thus preventing it from running dry and burning out. Since I have the ATO on a timer, I don't really need a backup TO switch anyways.

I have the Osmolator in my Solana and a 5.5 gal tank ($10) in the stand to hold the top off water. It will go all week if I am out of town. I like the two tier safety you get with the Osmolator with the optical sensor and the float switch backup as my tank sits on wood flooring. Also, when comparing to the JBJ or similar, you have to buy a pump and the tubing. No big deal, but the Osmolator is plug and play and has good customer support. I looked at what it would cost to refinish my wood floors and the $100 was an easy decision.

TriggerHappyDude
I have the Osmolator in my Solana and a 5.5 gal tank ($10) in the stand to hold the top off water. It will go all week if I am out of town. I like the two tier safety you get with the Osmolator with the optical sensor and the float switch backup as my tank sits on wood flooring. Also, when comparing to the JBJ or similar, you have to buy a pump and the tubing. No big deal, but the Osmolator is plug and play and has good customer support. I looked at what it would cost to refinish my wood floors and the $100 was an easy decision.

You bring up a good point, when I'm setting up the ATO with the ReefKeeper Elite, I should have two float switches, one for low level ATO and one for high level shut off! I have wood floors too!

RKEdefinitely over the Osmolator. I mean you'll probably want/need a controller down the line anyways, so best to get one now while you can. :) Just get the Aquahub Deluxe kit, it comes with the relay, wiring board mount for the relay and two float switches. That's the exact kit I have and it works just as good as my JBJ ATO, and works in the same fashion. The nice thing about the switches included, is that they can be reversed for opposite control. Like out of the box, it's meanto have a main control, and then a backup mounted slightly higher. In my setup, I have the main control, and the other switch in my ATO water bucket reversed to that when the water is below the switch, the pump won't be allowed to turn on thus preventing it from running dry and burning out. Since I have the ATO on a timer, I don't really need a backup TO switch anyways.

Well the reps at Digital Aquatics said I only need to buy the float switches, and then, of course, buy their switch adapter kit...which is really inexpensive...

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_i...ber=30-0017-000

Archived