SaltCritters.com

AC jr and GFCI

fickle1

So I just spent the last few hours reading over all of the GFCI topics that I could find. From a backup standpoint, some people mentioned keeping essential items (pump, heater) either on a regular outlet or on a second GFCI. That way if the GFCI gets tripped (say after a power outage) the essential items will not be affected. I am in the planning stages of setting up my first SW tank and I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Here is how I was going to hook it up.

Controlled by AC

2 outlets for T5

Moonlight

Heater (monitor temperature and kill heater if it gets stuck on)

Fan (monitor temperature and turn on fan)

Vortech (use feed mode while feeding fish)

ATO pump (timer to limit how long the pump can be on)

Regular outlet

Skimmer

Return Pump

So I guess my first question is if I hook the AC to a GFCI for protection and it trips, my main circulation and heat will be killed. How can I avoid this?

Should I use a 2nd GFCI for the rest of the items?

I have heard mixed reviews about using the plug in GFCI outlets. Most say that the outlets with built in GFCI don't false trip as often. Unfortunately, I can't replace the wall outlet with a GFCI, so I was thinking about mounting a outlet box in my stand with GFCI and using an extension cord to plug into the wall. I know some people have done it on here, but I can't seem to find any info on how to do it, or pictures.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it made sense.

Just curious, what's the reason you can't replace your wall outlet? If it's because the braker to where your tank is, isn't where you can access it, then I an understand. When I had my last apartment, swapping out the outlet for a GFCI where my tank was going to be, was the first thing I did. My apartment had the luxory of having the breaker box to the apartment INSIDE of the apartment thankfully. If you can do the option you said of mounting your own box, I'd highly recommend that over the plug-in type, they DO trip more easily. I have experience for both and can say without a doubt. When I had power failures, the in-wall would still be live, when the plug in was tripped during outages, and this was with both being used at the same time on two different curcuits in my apartment. Fortunately the house I'm in now is complately GFCI'ed with GFCI breakers in the electric panel.

And no worries on the long post, it made sense to me. Better safe than sorry, right? ;)

Well I moved back home to go back to school so I am living with my folks. They are shall we say paranoid about their new house. I had a hard enough time convincing them to let me setup a tank. I know that messing with the wiring will get a quick veto. Oddly enough the breaker to my room has a AFCI built in.

After doing some more reading, it seems like my best bet would be to wire 2 GFCI outlets in a box in the stand. Anyone have a DIY for this?

Well I moved back home to go back to school so I am living with my folks. They are shall we say paranoid about their new house. I had a hard enough time convincing them to let me setup a tank. I know that messing with the wiring will get a quick veto. Oddly enough the breaker to my room has a AFCI built in.

After doing some more reading, it seems like my best bet would be to wire 2 GFCI outlets in a box in the stand. Anyone have a DIY for this?

If it's a brand new house (new as in age, not just new to your folks) then check around, if your room has a GFI breaker then the rest of the house/breakers should be too. Might save you some time and effort. ;) I can understand your situation though, there's almost no swaying the parents unfortunately. :(

If it's a brand new house (new as in age, not just new to your folks) then check around, if your room has a GFI breaker then the rest of the house/breakers should be too. Might save you some time and effort. ;) I can understand your situation though, there's almost no swaying the parents unfortunately. :(

It is new as in was just built a year ago. All of the bedrooms have AFCI not GFCI breakers. I guess it is code in Ohio, I dunno. There are GFCI Outlets in the standard areas like the bathrooms and kitchen, but none in the bedrooms.

It is new as in was just built a year ago. All of the bedrooms have AFCI not GFCI breakers. I guess it is code in Ohio, I dunno. There are GFCI Outlets in the standard areas like the bathrooms and kitchen, but none in the bedrooms.

Yeah, AFCI's became code for ALL houses in the US in 1999 (2002 for Canada) I believe. Ok, that makes sense though. My house is the same way, GFCI outlets in the kitchen, bathrooms and garage/outdoor outlets, and then AFCI breakers in the panel for all other outlets and also for the GFCI outlets. I gotta check and see if my brakers are AFCI only or combo with GFCI protection, because I might need to wire in some GFCI's if not. I was reading though on Wikipedia that all houses as of January 2008 (mine was built in October 2008) are required to have combination AFCI breakers, but that doesn't mean it includes ground fault protection however. It can all be confusing, lol! In any event, a plug-in one for the meantime would suffice until you can locate the DIY on the twin outlet box project. Perhaps it's as simple as getting an electrical J-box, a couple of equal to or greater than 15a grounded power cords (large gauge) and then wiring each each socet of the GFCI twin outlet and screwing it to the J-box and mounting the J-box into a project box, and then plugging it into the outlet of choice at the wall. I dunno if this would work or be the proper way of going about this though.

Archived